Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal (mfewfpk.sys)

My Acer desktop unit was running 8.1 without issue. I upgraded the OS to the new 10. This was the second computer I upgraded. The upgrade went faster that the first, taking maybe about 1.5 hours (or less, I didn't sit there watching it for the full time) vs about 4 hrs for the first (an HP laptop). I was a little familiar with 10 since I had played around with it on the laptop. 2 things I noticed when I started working with it was that some of the app tiles did not have labels or the icon, but they did still work. Also when selecting "Don't Show in the List" for an item in the Most Used list, the item continued to show. I decided to reboot.

When I reboot I get a screen indicating a problem saying I can research it if I look for the description in the title - Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal (mfewfpk.sys). It attempts to reboot a second tine and then presents a Recovery screen.

I have performed a Restore but that was indicated to be unsuccessful.

I am now looking for what might be the best way for fixing this problem. I can boot in Safe Mode.

I have been unsuccessful in contacting Microsoft via live chat or phone.

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

With the issue description, I understand that you get an error message “Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal (mfewfpk.sys)” whenever you reboot the computer. I will certainly help you in getting this issue resolved.

I appreciate your effort towards resolving the issue.

If you could help me with more information, I would be able to provide you more effective solution

• Was McAfee Security Software installed on your computer earlier? If Yes, Is it still installed?

I would like to inform you that this issue might be occurring because of McAfee security software.  mfewfpk.sys” is a component of McAfee and this often cause BSOD error as specified.

If you have McAfee installed on your computer in the past or have right now, I would suggest you to download the McAfee removal tool and uninstall the program using below mentioned link

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards

Neha

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 23, 2022 Views 12,031 Applies to: