Driver for Edirol UA-5 Doesn´t Work

Hey guys,

i own an Edirol UA-5 usb audio interface, which i was running with XP and then Vista without any problem. Now that i´ve upgraded to 8.1 i´m having problems. The first one is that Edirol didn´t come out with a driver for 8.1, only for 7. So i try to install it, as i read everywhere that 8.1 is backward compatible.

I run the set up program, the notice that this version is not compatible comes up and shuts down the set up, then the compatability program of 8.1 kicks in and allows me to install the driver. I follow the instructions for set up, and it seems to complete successfuly, although the set up window never announces that set up is complete. I can find the driver on the Programs list, but i can´t find it in the Sound, Video and Games Controllers list, nor does it show up in the audio controller selection. I can also find it in the controllers page, though it says below that the controller is not available.

Can anyone help me work this out, please?

Thanks

Hi Alexandre,

Please answer this question to get more clarity on this issue.

-          Is the device connected to the computer through an usb cable?

In the Device Manager, you may find this device under “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”.

You may download the driver compatible with Windows 7 from this link: http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=UA-5

You may install the driver in Windows 7 compatibility mode and check if this helps. This runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Further, you may keep the computer up to date with Windows Updates and Driver updates to ensure that the computer is performing well.

Windows Update: Frequently Asked Questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-update-faq

Drivers are updated occasionally. Windows can update them automatically, or you can install the updated drivers yourself. It's important for you to have confidence in the updated drivers you install. Windows notifies you if it detects a suspicious or unsafe driver you shouldn't install.

Download and install drivers: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/all-drivers

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, thank you for your answer. Ok, the device is indeed connected by usb, but it won´t show up under universal serial bus controllers. It does however show up further down the list of controllers, under "other controllers". When i select it there from there, it shows that the controller is not installed/available. I used the same driver as the one you sent me the link for, and even tried the vista driver. No success. I did install it using the compatability mode, but still, no success. My computer and windows are fully updated. When i try to install, the compatability mode kicks in, but it seems that the instalation never completes, even if i wait for a long time. When i cancel the instalation, immediately i am asked if i want to run uninstall, when click yes, it starts the uninstall but it stops halfway through, a message saying that it´s not compatibleand the system will restart is displayed and the computer reboots automatically. It´s **** me off a bit, as it should be possible to at least install the driver using the compatability mode.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Boot the computer in safe mode and try to delete the driver. Once that is done, restart the computer and install the driver in compatibility mode to check if this helps.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same issue - and your steps listed do not help rectify the issue. it is infuriating! I spend alot of time working ans listening to music on my PC and expect to be able to listen to music unimpeded!

Basically the only way I can ge the UA-5 to work on Windows - is to use the Vista drivers, it works, but with intermittent cutting out sound problems - the problem seem to happen each time i load a web page - for instance listening to music from my hard drive, through MusicBee running smoothly until i open a web browser window, and sound cuts out like it's buffering.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

I'm having the same issue! I tried installing the windows 7 driver. Ran the install wizard, then it asked me to connect Edirol UA-5 and turn on the device, and nothing happened... the system wouldn't recognise the device (I could only run the wizard in Windows 7 compatibility mode).

Then, thanks to your suggestion, I downloaded and installed the Vista driver and it works - with the same issues that you described... which is not acceptable of course.

Srimadhwa, any suggestions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem.

No drivers for edirol ua-5 on Windows 8.1.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hallo Everyone,

I have had a similar issue with Windows 10,  although I am not familiar with either Windows 7 or 8/8.1.Neither do I know if the OS you are using is 32 or 64 bit, however, it is a frustrating experience to say the least. I have managed to get my Edirol UA5 to work without hanging or crashing the PC, and I would recommend that you disregard all installation instructions in Edirol documents.

The most important thing is to get a clean install of the driver, and ensure that any registry entries of any previous install entries are cleaned and removed. I use AVG Antivirus/PC Tune Up on my PC's, which is a free utility tool from AVG.

1. Once the registry has been cleaned and any traces of the driver have been removed, download the required driver from Edirol on the web; for those running Windows 10, use the Windows Vista 64 bit only, otherwise try the specified driver for your OS.

2. Downloand and run as an 'open' file, without saving. Once you have the zip file and location, extract the contents to a suitable location.

Proceed to the set up file and open the application. If it opens the compatabilty troubleshooter, leave Windows to determine which mode to run the installer in until you reach the driver installer instruction. At this point the driver can be installed, up to the point where it tells you to connect the Edirol UA5.DO NOT CONNECT AT THIS POINT.

Close the installer and reboot the PC. Once this has been done, connect the Edirol by a USB port directly to the motherboard (not via a USB PCI card or other device) and you should fine that it will connect in 44.1Khz/16 bit mode and function normally. I am still trying to get it to switch between 96.0Khz/24 bit at present without crashing the host controller, but at least I have my audio playback facility functioning again. Leave any programs using audio set to default device (iTunes, WMP, Classic Media Player and so forth) and you should find you have full use of all facilities, volume mixer, system sounds and so forth, without any conflicts. One issue with Windows 10 is the Microsoft VIA Usb 3.0 Host Controller reporting a Code 43 Fault, and if this happens, uninstall the driver using the utility tool in the programme, and start from the beginning again.

Bloody nightmare this was, but mine definitely works now. Good Luck!

Regards, AJ

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

THANK YOU, AlbertBluesMan!  I was using Win7 64, but Vista 64 did the trick :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Further to my last post, I have since managed to run the Edirol in 24bit/96Khz. This was achieved with Windows 10 by setting the slide switch on the back panel to " advanced mode" with the Edirol turned off and then using the front selector switch setting on 96Khz/playback. With the PC shut down, turn the Edirol back on and reboot the PC. All being well, you should find that this will now run in advanced mode. It is worth persevering with, because the difference in the sound quality is quite remarkable really, and as an audiophile it has elevated the musicality of my sounds to a different

level altogether. It's also the first time it has been run in this mode, because I could never ever get it to do so with Windows XP no matter what. Try it, and I hope it works for you to.

Kind regards,

AJ

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 8, 2024 Views 4,235 Applies to: