Downgrading to Windows 7

Dear Microsoft Community,

I bought my Lenovo Ideapad 300 with Windows 10 Home Single Language and now its been 1 and a half year and i want to downgrade to windows 7 

due to some perfomance issues.

I saw this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Which is i could download the iso of windows 7 with a product key. The place where i bought my pc did the free upgrade to win 10, so basically i have a digital license.

What i want to know is that how to downgrade to windows 7 with a digital license and what is a digital license.

It would mean a lot if you helped.

Thanking You

Shivram.C

Short version, given what you have prior to any clarifications:  In order to 'downgrade' that system (came with Windows 10 Home), you merely need to purchase Windows 7, install your new purchased OS over the previous OS *if* the hardware in said system is supported by the manufacturer(s) with Windows 7 and install all the device drivers.

Windows 7 never had a "digital license".  You have to provide a product key.  If you purchased the Lenovo device with Windows 7 (not with Windows 10 - your post is fairly confusing there) - then it was the seller's responsibility to provide you with the product key / installation media for Windows 7.

Can/will you clarify where you purchased this device from, what the invoice for the device says it comes with in terms of operating system, etc.?

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Short version, given what you have prior to any clarifications:  In order to 'downgrade' that system (came with Windows 10 Home), you merely need to purchase Windows 7, install your new purchased OS over the previous OS *if* the hardware in said system is supported by the manufacturer(s) with Windows 7 and install all the device drivers.

Windows 7 never had a "digital license".  You have to provide a product key.  If you purchased the Lenovo device with Windows 7 (not with Windows 10 - your post is fairly confusing there) - then it was the seller's responsibility to provide you with the product key / installation media for Windows 7.

Can/will you clarify where you purchased this device from, what the invoice for the device says it comes with in terms of operating system, etc.?

I got my device with Windows 10 installed and that one month to go back to windows 7 thing was also there but i didnt have issues back then but now after a year and a half i have perfomance issues. So i know for a fact that it was windows 7 before.

I bought it from Jumbo Electronics which i authrized reseller too. They had it set up from there itself for me and they told me it was windows 7 upgraded to windows 10 using the free upgrade.The thing is that i checked that link and when i was checking how to get that windows 7 disc to downgrade , and i saw this link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10749/windows-product-key to learn more about product key,and then i found this 

Free upgrade to Windows 10. If you upgraded to Windows 10 for free from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you should have a digital license instead of a product key. For more info about digital licenses in Windows 10, see Activation in Windows 10.

I clicked that blue link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440 and it just showed me if i had a digital license or product key nothing more. So how do i downgrade now.

Thanking You

Shivram.C

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the system came with Windows 7 - there should be a product key sticker on it and/or the Windows 7 product key (although VERY RARE with Windows 7) is embedded in the BIOS.

You have a Windows 10 digital license - there is still no such thing for Windows 7.  That digital license for Windows 10 means nothing in terms of Windows 7.  You either have your Windows 7 product key so you can install Windows 7 onto your system - or you do not.

.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got my pc with win 10 installed so how can i get win 7, and there was no product key with the box too

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you did not get a product key for Windows 7 or installation media for Windows 7 AND you paid for (and have proof you paid for) Windows 7 - you contact the seller and get your product key + media.

Otherwise, you locate, purchase / obtain and utilize it from other sources.

At this point, as far as has been demonstrated, you have no right to a license for Windows 7 for this Lenovo system in this conversation *and*, if you do, that is a discussion you should be having with those you purchased the system from and not this peer-to-peer volunteer-based public forum.  :-)

.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2021 Views 137 Applies to: