DOS on a 64 bit system?

This is not - strictly speaking - a windows question... however... I'm in the process of upgrading to a 64 bit laptop.

My question is... Can a DOS system (e.g. Dr. DOS, Caldera DOS, MS DOS, PC DOS, etc.) be installed on a laptop with a 64 bit processor?

As 64 bit processors are supposed to be backward compatible to 32 bit architecture, this should be possible, but I haven't found any supporting statements.

If anyone has a thought on this subject, it would be greatly appreciated. However, please remember that the nature of the question is can/how and NOT why - I'm not looking for alternative solutions, only a simple yes or no.

Respectfuly,

Iain M. Guthrie

Answer
Answer

In general the answer is yes - you can boot a DOS system on 64-bit hardware. However, as with all things, the devil is in the details.  The various DOS architectures are very simple creatures and don't support a lot of expandability - for example, device drivers.  Yeah, there are some you can load (mouse or memory for example) but if your hard drive controller is not seen as a simple IDE controller by DOS then it won't be recognized and won't work.

Also please do keep in mind that you've oversimplified slightly, as the various DOS flavors are 16-bit architecture and not 32-bit architecture.  I can see the possibility that any given 64-bit platform won't run 16-bit code well or at all.

"Megahexe" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

This is not - strictly speaking - a windows question... however... I'm in the process of upgrading to a 64 bit laptop.

My question is... Can a DOS system (e.g. Dr. DOS, Caldera DOS, MS DOS, PC DOS, etc.) be installed on a laptop with a 64 bit processor?

As 64 bit processors are supposed to be backward compatible to 32 bit architecture, this should be possible, but I haven't found any supporting statements.

If anyone has a thought on this subject, it would be greatly appreciated. However, please remember that the nature of the question is can/how and NOT why - I'm not looking for alternative solutions, only a simple yes or no.

Respectfuly,

Iain M. Guthrie

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

This is correct. When running in legacy mode, a 64Bit CPU can run 16Bit code. It is only unable to run 16Bit code, when the CPu runs in 64Bit mode.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 7,355 Applies to: