Don't show keyboard layouts popup on Alt-Shift, but still switch languages (Windows 11)

Hello.

I'm using Windows 11, and when I change languages using Alt+Shift, a keyboard layouts popup *sometimes* appears in the bottom right corner of the screen. I wasn't able to figure out any specific pattern for its appearance, but I want to disable it completely. It is important, however, that solution of disabling Alt+Shift shortcut, offered in some other threads, won't work for me, because I still want the language to be switched when using Alt+Shift shortcut. Is there any way to achieve that?

Best regards.

Hi Slevir. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, here to help you.

Here are all available options for Language Bar Input Indicator popup in Windows 11:

https://beebom.com/how-remove-language-switcher...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/q1v...

https://nerdschalk.com/how-to-remove-language-s...

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-languag...
(Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro, PC Repair Tool and Reimage ads)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m-4hvjPl9c

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello.

I have the same problem and I would like a solution from Microsoft. This is definitely a bug and not a feature. It is not a feature, because in my case the popup snaps up and down so quickly that it is unintelligible, and thus provides no practical value, besides signaling to me that I'm switching keyboard layouts (which I already know that I'm doing, I don't need a constant annoying popup to remind me). This behavior did not exist in previous versions of Windows. There is also no option built into Windows 11 to disable this, which also points towards this being a bug.

My settings look like this on a fresh installation of Windows 11.

ImageImage

Those settings look correct, so there is no point in changing them. I do want the language bar docked in the taskbar and I do want Left Alt+Shift as hotkeys for switching between input languages.

However, the hotkey sequence Windows Logo Key+Spacebar is also enabled by default and I cannot find an option to remove this. You can see this in the popup box when you click on the language bar in the taskbar.

The intrusive popup box appears whenever I switch layouts using either Left Alt+Shift or Windows Logo Key+Spacebar.

This particular problem is indeed discussed here. But installing python scripts should not be our only option for solving this! Microsoft should address its own software bugs!

Please report this problem to developers or direct me as to where I can report this to Microsoft.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello.

I'm using Windows 11, and when I change languages using Alt+Shift, a keyboard layouts popup *sometimes* appears in the bottom right corner of the screen. I wasn't able to figure out any specific pattern for its appearance, but I want to disable it completely. It is important, however, that solution of disabling Alt+Shift shortcut, offered in some other threads, won't work for me, because I still want the language to be switched when using Alt+Shift shortcut. Is there any way to achieve that?

Best regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This was fixed for me with the new Windows 11 upgrade. I can use Alt+Shift to switch between layouts and no random pop-up ever appears. I only see the change of layout in the taskbar.

Edition Windows 11 Pro

Version 22H2

Installed on ‎29/‎9/‎2022

OS build 22621.674

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2024 Views 3,428 Applies to: