Does Healthy Windows Recovery Partition have to adjacent to Windows 10 partition to work?

I have an Acer E5-575 laptop. I am in the process of extending a 184.62 GB Windows partition, because I am running out of room. In order to extend the Windows partition using the Windows Disk Management utility, I had to move the "519 MB Healthy Recovery Partition" that was formerly adjacent to 184.62 GB Windows partition. I used G-parted in a live boot off a USB to move the 519 MB Healthy Recovery Partition. I have not yet extended the Windows Partition using the Windows Disk Management tool. See inserted screenshot image of partitions using the Windows 10 Disk Management tool.

QUESTION(S): Will there be a problem if the new larger extended Windows Partition is not adjacent to the 519 MB Healthy Recovery Partition? (This does not seem to be a problem now, in the sense that I am using the PC now to write this post). In other words, if the unallocated partition is not fully used by windows, then, there will be unallocated partition between the Windows partition and the 519 Healthy Recovery Partition.

Could that fact that the 519 MB Healthy Recovery Partition is not adjacent to the Windows Partition be a problem in the future, for example if another operating system like Lubuntu occupies the unallocated partition that is left after I extend the Windows partition?

I suppose that after I extend the 184.62 GB Windows partition, I could move the 519 MB Healthy Recovery Partition again using Gparted so that the 519 MB Recovery partition is adjacent to the new, extended Windows partition. But is that necessary for Recovery to take place if needed?

Thank you,

Bob

Answer
Answer
Hi Bob,
My name is Igor, I have 12 Microsoft MVP awards. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you. I'm sorry you have a problems.

No, the fact that the 519 MB Healthy Recovery Partition is not adjacent to the Windows Partition cannot be a problem in the future.

But if you use some third party tool for changing partition structure this may create a problems in some situations. Unfortunately this is not predictable.
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Sure GParted is third party software. I cannot say anything bad about this tool but I know there may be some problems if such tool make disk structure slightly different from Windows expected to see.

Recovery partition is not strongly needed but it is recommended to use it. This allows to boot recovery environment even when Windows partition has a problems.

P.S. As far as I know Wikipedia it not trustful source and Wikipedia itself states this clear enough. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikiped...
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 7, 2022 Views 1,108 Applies to: