Do you want the color scheme to improve performance

This is yet another fine example of a pop up box with options that do absolutely nothing when you select the option you want.

Do you want the color scheme to improve performance?

Windows has detected your computer's performance is slow... [snip] ...[/snip]

Any change you make will be in effect until the next time you log on to Windows.

1) Change the color scheme to windows 7 basic . 

No I don't want this, if I wanted this I would have done so when setting up my desktop.

2) Keep the current color scheme, but ask me again if my computer continues to perform slowly.

NO, I don't want this, but THIS IS WHAT IT DOES!!!!!

3) Keep the current color scheme and don't show this message again.

Yes this is what I want!!!!!! It simply does not and has not ever worked. It does option #2 above. What is annoying is that it happens in fullscreen apps (games) and completely breaks into your game and drops you from a fullscreen game to a windowed game.

So, how long does it really take for someone to finally say yes, yes this is not the behavior that should be happening when option 3 is selected - and god damn fix it?

Choosing the 3rd option should do exactly what it says, however in Windows world it does not, like many other dialogues. Like for example, choosing to do the "same for all files" option that also fails to yield the desired and stated results upon choosing said option...

Fix it already!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Thomas,

Assuming you realize this message is informing you your system is low on resources and is asking you to disable Aero so it can keep performing at optimum speed,

1. Go to the Start Menu and type Action Center on the Search box
  2. Start it (it should be the top entry, under the "Control Panel" group)
  3. On the left sidebar, click Change Action Center settings
  4. Untick the Windows Troubleshooting checkbox, under "Maintenance Messages".
  5. Click the Ok button and you are done.

If the issue occurs while playing a particular game, this might be a compatibility issue with Windows 7. You can run the program in Windows compatibility mode to troubleshoot and avoid such scenarios:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-windows

Please let us know about the results.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Thomas,

Assuming you realize this message is informing you your system is low on resources and is asking you to disable Aero so it can keep performing at optimum speed,

1. Go to the Start Menu and type Action Center on the Search box
  2. Start it (it should be the top entry, under the "Control Panel" group)
  3. On the left sidebar, click Change Action Center settings
  4. Untick the Windows Troubleshooting checkbox, under "Maintenance Messages".
  5. Click the Ok button and you are done.

If the issue occurs while playing a particular game, this might be a compatibility issue with Windows 7. You can run the program in Windows compatibility mode to troubleshoot and avoid such scenarios:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-windows

Please let us know about the results.

Hi, 

I have the exact same issue, however, mine occurs when playing modern games, specifically Bioshock Infinite, and Metro: Last Light

My Rig:

I5 oc 4.3ghz,
770gtx Zotac Amp
8gb RAM @1600mhz
120 GB SSD.
Dual Monitors.
1000w PSU

I have a rating of 7.7 and everything is perfectly stable. I have updated every driver on my system to the latest ones. 

My issues started when i upgrade my graphics card from a GTX 560 to the 770. I have to update my motherboards BIOS to get it working correctly. I have read hundreds of posts on the web, but I do not understand how and why this would only happen after upgrading my card to one which is far more powerful that its predecessor? 

I know, I can disable the messages in the action centre, and set the aero properties to "For Best Appearance, For Best Performance". I can also, right click the game's .exe and disable aero whilst in-game. Finally, there is a registry hack which i can implemented to disable the check all together. 

However, I would like to know why it occurs in the first place? What check does DWM carry out in order to judge your systems performance? Why would this happen only with updated and superior hardware? Are there currently, or any planned MS Hotfixes to fix this issue?

Please help as this is driving me insane!

Thanks, Ian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ian,

It all depends on the game/application that you are running on the computer. Sometimes, compatibility of certain programs does matter when these scenarios are evolved. Display Window Manager acts a medium to avoid display artifacts by adjusting the display settings. It would notify user to do the same while such issue occur. Refer to the link to get the details:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff684179(v=vs.85).aspx

Please let us know if you have more queries on Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am getting this message constantly with certain games. This is more than annoying, when this message pops up, it causes the monitor to **** itself. In the best case, this results in the game switching it's resolution back to 800x600, in the worst case, I end up having to reboot the damned computer to get any display back (also, helpful hint Microsoft, start the task manager on the second blasted screen since if the main display craps out, that's the only one we can see). I have 16 gigs of ram and I'm running twin GTX 570s, so the extra 3 clock cycles disabling windows Aero is likely to give me isn't going to be particularly helpful. I have troubleshooting turned off, I have the latest drivers, I have everything any sane person would care to use to disable this bloody warning, because it's sure as **** a false positive and it's happening from games that are launched indirectly by cloud delivery services like Steam and Origin, so changing the damned shortcut isn't an option either. How the holy **** do I get rid of it permanently?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kyoseki,

Try the following steps to force disable the notification using "regedit" and check if it resolves the issue:

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, you can refer to the link:

Back up the registry

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry
Press Windows+R keys and type "regedit". Hit Enter.
Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM (create if it doesn't exist by right clicking inside the window at the right side and select New. Name it as UseMachineCheck)

Set a new DWORD UseMachineCheck with a value of 0.

This will keep Windows from checking if your computer "performs slowly" and thus attempting to disable Aero.

Do let us know if the issue still persists.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Pinaki,

I actually do have that registry change in place, but it hasn't stopped the warning from popping up.

If I export the DWM directory from the registry, I get the following:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
"Composition"=dword:00000001
"ColorizationOpaqueBlend"=dword:00000000
"EnableAeroPeek"=dword:00000001
"CompositionPolicy"=dword:00000000
"AlwaysHibernateThumbnails"=dword:00000001
"LastDisqualifiedCompositionSignature"=dword:00465000
"UseMachineCheck"=dword:00000000

Am I missing something? Because that looks correct to me, unless one of the other registry entries is causing a problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So, out of ideas?

I really don't want to have to install Windows 8 to get rid of this thing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I was having the same issue, as you can see my original post above. However, I completely managed to fix mine. When i upgraded my graphics card, I did a clean install of the drivers. However, somehow the previous driver remained on the my system. I have no idea how it is even possible to have two copies of the same driver as I thought they installed to the same location and one overrides the other. Besides I did a clean install... Anyway, I uninstalled my drivers, then windows listed the original driver as installed. Uninstalled that and then reinstalled the new driver and hey presto, my problem was solved.

I understand my system may be unique but it's worth checking. 

Thanks, Ian 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Ian, Thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay in responding but I've been busy with work. Tonight I tried Titanfall and the bloody thing is triggering the same damned dialog even before getting into the game.

I'm pretty sure the MENU isn't taxing my system overly, but Windows is still determined to cause all kinds of resolution switching problems trying to tell me about it.

I hear the usual "bing bong" warning noise and then my main monitor goes into a constant resize loop trying to figure out whether to display it at the game res or windows desktop res (the fact that these are the same resolution is apparently lost on Windows).

I've used the driverquery command to list all available drivers and I'm not seeing any duplicates, the only thing I can think of is that I have SLI'd cards in the machine and maybe Windows is having issues with those.

I'd really rather not have to disable SLI just to have a standalone card to run windows to avoid this error, so I really don't know what else I can do at this point. I'm going to give the driver reinstall a shot, but I'm not optimistic.

Edit: Nope, complete uninstall and "clean" reinstall of NVidia drivers, this stupid piece of **** still asks me if I want to disable the desktop to improve performance - it even asks me during a loading screen with all of 8% CPU in use, I'm having a hard time imagining a lighter load on the machine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Followed the above steps, still doesn't work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 6,361 Applies to: