do i need to install drivers after a fresh installation of windows

I want to upgrade my storage with ssd i will install fresh windows in it and use old hdd for storage . will i need to install drivers seperately after the fresh installation and what steps should i do after the install

Hi Om_2002,

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this.

Usually, after to clean install Windows 10 from a bootable USB, Windows 10 will automatically install required drivers automatically.

Sometimes, there may be one or two drivers that the installation process cannot find and you would need to go to the support page for your PC on the manufacturers website to download and install those.

Also, for things like the control panel for your Graphics card and other manufacturers utilities, you would need to download and install those too.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you want to do a clean install of Windows, you certainly can. But you don't have to.

If you decide to do a clean install, you will probably not have to re-install your drivers, because a wide variety of hardware manufacturers contribute drivers to Windows.

However:

1. You might have some hardware for which Windows does not have a driver; or

2. The driver from a manufacturer's website might possibly perform better than the driver they contributed to Windows; and

3. Your OEM (computer manufacturer) may have their own versions of drivers that have been customized for your computer.

Before doing a clean install, you should contact the computer's manufacturer, because they might specify a certain order for installing drivers, i.e., driver 'A' may need to be installed before installing driver 'B.'

Some people consider a new hard drive as an opportunity to start over, so they do a clean install. That can be a fine idea. But you don't have to do a clean install. Instead, you can backup your old hard drive and restore it to your new SSD. As long as the SSD is going back inside the same computer, backing up and restoring can save you a lot of time, and no worries about drivers.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

how can i restore i have no idea about it ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

how do i know what drivers i will have to install and how to install them

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Om_2002,

Okay, it is not possible to know this before yo install Windows 10, go ahead and install Windows 10, then open Device Manager. If there are any hardware sections open and devices with an exclamation mark beside them, please provide a screenshot of that window.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have no idea how to backup and restore your hard drive, right now might not be the best time to learn. Nevertheless, making an identical copy of ('backing up') your hard drive and restoring that backup to your new SSD is so much faster and easier than what you're planning to do, which is ...

... backup your personal data; re-install Windows from scratch; update Windows; setup your user accounts; re-install all your software; setup Windows and your software the way you like; restore your backed up personal data; and test everything to make sure it works properly.

Most (not every) hard drive manufacturer includes the software and instructions that you'll need to backup and restore your hard drive. I think you should at least checkout what they offer. It's just easier than what you're planning. Re-installing Windows is not exactly a walk in the park. Besides, once you see how fast and easy it is to backup, you might want to (and you should) do it every day. Believe me, you'll never be sorry you backed up.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2024 Views 13,513 Applies to: