Display dims on battery power

No matter how many settings I tweak, I cannot get the display on my laptop to remain bright if I unplug it. It dims to an unacceptable level Any suggestions on how to fix this would be welcomed. Thanks
Hi there! My name is Steve. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Windows user like you. I'm happy to help with your query.

That sounds very frustrating and not at all ideal if the screen is too dim! Please give the following steps a go to fix this:

1. Click on the Start menu, type "Control Panel", and select the Control Panel app
2. In Control Panel click on Power Options
3. In the Power Options menu you will see the currently selected power plan, click 'Change plan settings' to the right of the selected plan
4. In the settings menu you will see 'Adjust plan brightness' for both On Battery and Plugged in, here you can turn up the brightness level of the display when you change onto battery power
5. Don't forget to click Save changes!

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've already tried that but it didn't help. The setting was already set to maximum brightness on battery. Nothing changes.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No problem!

If you go back to the Edit Plan Settings page and click on 'Change advanced power settings', then scroll down in the advanced settings box to Display. In the Display settings there is 'Dimmed display brightness' and 'Enable adaptive brightness', try turning adaptive brightness off if enabled and also increasing the dimmed brightness level.

Please let me know if that makes any difference.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just did all of those things. No change. This all started I think right after the update. It seems like everytime I get an update something goes wrong.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi SteveLoudon
I am Vijay, an Independent Advisor. Please try these options one by one and check after each option.

1. Troubleshoot Power
Type troubleshoot in Cortana Search > Click Troubleshoot > Scroll down > Click Power > Run the troubleshooter > Follow on-screen direction.

2. Restore Default for Power Settings
Windows Key+i > System > Power & sleep > Click Additional power settings to open Power options > Click Change Plan Settings > Click Restore default settings for this plan

3. Disable Fast Startup
Reach to Power options as in previous step > Click Choose what the power buttons do > Click Change settings that are currently unavailable > Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup > Click Save changes

4. Action for Battery Drivers
Windows Key+X > Device Manager > Expand Batteries > Right-click on first entry below
Disable device > Wait for 10 to 20 seconds > Enable device (you will need to do this for all entries one by one)

5. Also update your BIOS to latest from computer maker's site.

--- IF NONE OF ABOVE WORK

Report this to Microsoft so that this issue can be fixed in future updates. Press Windows Key+F to invoke Feedback Hub to send the issue to Microsoft.

There are two actions which I can recommend. You can try them one by one and check after each.

1. Restore from a system restore point to a point when things were working fine
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/...

2. If the issue has been caused due to recent Windows update - I would suggest that you uninstall the latest KB update and hide it so that it doesn't install it automatically and wait for new update to come which will be installed automatically.

To know which update got installed
Windows Key+i to invoke Settings > Update & Security > Click View installed update history. These KBs should be from the below list. Don't uninstall any other KB
For 1903 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4498140
For 1809 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619
Make note of KB and uninstall and block it.

Uninstall
Windows Key + R > Type: appwiz.cpl > Enter > Click View installed updates > Select the required updates, right click, uninstall.

Block
Microsoft has provided a tool Show/Hide Updates tool to block the update
Download the tool from below link
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f2...
When you run this troubleshooter, it will search for available updates and list them
Select the update which you want to hide. Click Next and follow on-screen directions

Do let me know if you have any more question or require further help.
Sincerely yours,
Vijay A. Verma @ https://excelbianalytics.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is most likely a BIOS setting

There is usually 2 settings in BIOS for display brightness

On Battery and on AC Power

Good luck

MSI MEG B550 UNIFY-X
AMD Ryzon AMD RYZEN™ 5 5600X Processor
Liquid Cooled - Cool Master MasterLiquid ML240L Dual Radiator
32G RAM
Geoforce RTX 2080 GPU
24TB Raid
EVGA 1300W PSU

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 11,118 Applies to: