DISM Restorehealth Failure, when Scanhealth indicates repairable

Hi all,

In my attempts (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/win10-upgrade-eternal-driver-installation-hang/959de121-3ccc-414e-86bc-124faeb97595?tab=question&status=AllReplies&auth=1) to upgrade Win8.1 NL to Win10, I was advised to do maintenance first. So:

1. Chkdsk /r /f 
  2. SFC Scannow
  3. dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

One PC on Win8.1 DISM ran into a problem. The other was fine. DISM indicated trouble with Windows Update as a source. So I went and followed this manual: https://www.petri.com/how-to-fix-windows-update-when-it-breaks 

The outcome was that despite me having a proper USB Win8.1 NL image, with the install.esb converted to an Install.wim, the repair did not work, despite the Scanhealth indicating that it could be repaired.

I'm at a loss why.

See below the commands executed+responses from the PC. Also I include the few lines in the Repair.log that indicate a failure.

Hope someone can tell me how to resolve this, without having to Refresh the PC and reinstall several 10's of applications, games etc.

Thanks for your attention,

StanggNL

Commands executed

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath F:\sources\install.wim -Index 1 -Path C:\offline -LogPath C:\Temp\
Mount.log -Readonly

Path           : C:\offline
Online         : False
Restart Needed : False

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -ScanHealth -LogPath C:\Temp\ScanHealth.log

Path               :
Online             : False
Image Health State : Repairable
Restart Needed     : False

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth -Source C:\offline\Windows\WinSxS -LimitAccess -LogPa
th c:\Temp\Repair.log
Repair-WindowsImage : The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store canno
t be repaired.
At line:1 char:1
+ Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth -Source C:\offline\Windows\WinSxS -Li ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Repair-WindowsImage], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.RepairWindowsImageCommand

Extract from the Repair.log

2015-08-22 03:49:10, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=3636 TID=3368 Loaded servicing stack for online use only. - CDISMPackageManager::RefreshInstanceAndLock
2015-08-22 03:49:10, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=3636 TID=3368 CBS session options=0x28100! - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize
2015-08-22 03:54:23, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=3636 TID=3464  Error in operation: source for package or file not found, ResolveSource() unsuccessful. (CBS HRESULT=0x800f081f) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error
2015-08-22 03:54:23, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=3636 TID=3368 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x800f081f)
2015-08-22 03:54:23, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=3636 TID=3368 The source files could not be found; their location must be specified using the /source option to restore the feature. - GetCbsErrorMsg
2015-08-22 03:54:23, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=3636 TID=3368 Failed processing package changes with session option CbsSessionOptionRepairStoreCorruption - CDISMPackageManager::RestoreHealth(hr:0x800f081f)
2015-08-22 03:54:23, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=3636 TID=3368 The source files could not be found; their location must be specified using the /source option to restore the feature. - GetCbsErrorMsg
2015-08-22 03:54:23, Error                 DISM   API: PID=4792 TID=3460 Failed to restore health - CRestoreImageHealthCommandObject::InternalExecute(hr:0x800f081f)
2015-08-22 03:54:23, Error                 DISM   API: PID=4792 TID=3460 InternalExecute failed - CBaseCommandObject::Execute(hr:0x800f081f)
2015-08-22 03:54:23, Error                 DISM   API: PID=4792 TID=3376 CRestoreImageHealthCommandObject internal execution failed - DismRestoreImageHealthInternal(hr:0x800f081f)
2015-08-22 03:54:23, Info                  DISM   API: PID=4792 TID=3376 Exit DismRestoreImageHealthInternal - DismRestoreImageHealthInternal

Hi,

We apologize for the delay in response.

As you get the error as "The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store cannot be repaired" we would suggest you not to give a source and use this command and check

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Get back if you still face an issue and we will be glad to assist.

Ravinath P
Forum Moderator - Multiple Forums

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've executed the action today again, and this is the error:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f0906

The source files could not be downloaded.
Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more informat
ion on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

So I checked again if the image is repairable, and it is:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

The component store is repairable.
The operation completed successfully.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The PC was originally Win 8.0 NL, and upgraded to Win8.1 NL.

Today I created a new USB Bootdisk for Win8.1NL, and tried to "refresh" the PC. I am aware that this means you lose all your apps, and you will have to reinstall a lot.

However, the Refresh was interrupted with an error, and nothing was changed. I think this will have the same root cause why I can't successfully upgrade to Win10 as well.

So when this componentstore is fixed, if at all possible, then I can upgrade to Win10 as well, I'm sure.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2023 Views 4,274 Applies to: