dism /RestoreHealth error 0x800f081f + failure of win 10 start-up repair = desperation

I have a new asus laptop and upgraded it immediately from win 8.1 to 10. Due to an intense use of hard disk (for no reason) during the first 10-15 minutes after booting, I run a system file check as suggested somewhere in this forum.

The sfc /scannow returned some files are corrupted and cannot be repaired. Therefore, I used DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which returned error 0x800f081f: The source files could not be found.

Finally, as suggested in:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/hopeless-with-windows-10-the-infamous-error/856b45f2-86d6-43a9-a451-391ee12ad4b3

I tried the start-up repair after creating the booting USB, the procedure didn't work and the log file states: The operating system version is incompatible with Startup Repair .

I honestly don't know what else to do and I am pretty frustrated, I started from a very simple problem and ended-up with major system issues.

Please help me. 

1-running SFC/DISM will not diagnose what is using the HD.  You should run a windows performance trace for that (see below)

2-Since you were getting the "sources" error you need to mount an ISO (of the same build you are running) and point DISM to where it is mounted.  See SFC wiki below

1-WPR

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki
If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

2-SFC

Please run a system file check (SFC) & DISM (if necessary) if you are on win 8 or higher

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
Should you have any questions please ask us.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, I followed your instructions and:

1) Here are the links to the files windows performance trace generated (one single big file and a folder):

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D3ED729DEBC2F366!429&authkey=!AISxSLhYhcrnvQY&ithint=folder%2c

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D3ED729DEBC2F366!483&authkey=!ACcfWqYLWOE-3CM&ithint=file%2czip

2) I downloaded and mounted the iso, run DISM with the "source" command as per the link you posted, but it still gives me error 0x800f081f, the source files could not be found. Here is the link to the DISM log file:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D3ED729DEBC2F366!482&authkey=!ACNRqAdGtBvZlw0&ithint=file%2clog

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please can somebody suggest me a solution?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, I solved the problem related to corrupted files and error 0x800f081f. Apparently, the problem is due to the fact I upgraded  my Italian win 8.1 directly to English win 10. Somehow, upgrading this way , corrupted files were generated that both scannow and Dism weren't able to fix. Instead, when using DISM /Online/Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:..etc the procedure didn't work because (obviously) I downloaded the English iso of win10. 

I solved the problem by re-installing win 10 in Italian. I downloaded the Italian iso of win10, run the setup and install it. After that, I run a scannow to verify things were all-right, it found some corrupted files but were able to fix them. Since then, both scannow and dism/scanhealth return the system is fine!!

Don't know if DISM /Online/Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:..etc  with the Italian iso of win10 would have worked too. 

Microsoft does suggest you to first upgrade to win10 in the same language and then to change it... but it is only an advice. Since annoying issues can arise otherwise, maybe this procedure should be made compulsory. 

I would like to thank Microsoft for the ridiculous support I have received here so far, where in 4 days no one bothered to answer me after I did what I was told to.  If somebody cares, I have still some doubts about my disk usage.

Regards

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2019 Views 598 Applies to: