Disk partition problem

I'm currently trying to make a 200 GB partition. I was able to shrink one of my volumes (E:\) and now I have ~200 GB unallocated. When I try to make a new simple volume everything goes well until the end. First I get a dialogue asking "The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume.) Are you sure you want to continue?"

If I click no I just get dumped backed into the partition manager, but if I click yes I get another dialogue that says "The selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which is not of type 'PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID', and is both preceeded and followed by a partition of type 'PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID'." I have no idea what is happening here. Can I fix this? I am unable to located the volume.
Hi,

This kind of issue is more complex than what is normally posted here in Community. We suggest that you post your query in our TechNet Forum for further assistance.

Thanks.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You can only create 4 primary partitions on an MBR configured drive.  If you already have 3 and want more than 4 you will need to use logical partitions.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sparsh,

Can I fix this? I am unable to located the volume.

The answer to your question is no. You'll need to expand the partition you shrunk again to reclaim the space. You cannot convert the disk types of disks that contain the boot partition.

-Sam

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2021 Views 10,530 Applies to: