disappearing notifications and notification icons on the taskbar

after installing KB5003173, 2 Intel driver updates via Windows Update, a .NET update (KB5003254), and KB5003214, my notification area of the taskbar comes up blank with no icons. There are no notification icons or hidden information. If I move the taskbar to the top of the screen and the back to the bottom of the screen, the notification icons will come back and will stay until the next time the screen blanks out. How do i get the notification icons to display consistently on the taskbar? This issue appeared after installing the above listed updates.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, I'm Benedict, an Independent Advisor. I'm here to help you.

Please try these possible fixes:

1 - Restart the Windows Explorer in Task manager > Processes, or to do this:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc simultaneously in your keyboard to open Task manager.
- In the Processes tab, look for Windows Explorer, right-click on it and select Restart. This will make your taskbar and desktop icons disappear for a short time. Once everything goes back to normal, kindly check if that sorts the issue.

2 - Use the System File Checker tool to repair corrupted system files:
https://support.microsoft.com/topic/79aa86cb-ca...

3 - Perform a repair install of Windows 10. This will fix and replace all missing and corrupted system files by reinstalling Windows 10 with the option of keeping your files and all installed apps including third-party apps. Go to the link below and follow the steps provided by Shawn Brink, a trusted Windows Insider MVP.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repai...

Please see if that helps.

Regards,
Benedict P.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard Disclaimer: There are non-Microsoft websites mentioned above. These pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on those sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on those sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Restarted Windows Explorer with no change in the notification icon issue. There are still no icons displayed.

2. I've run the following commands in the order listed below with no change in the issue (the notification icons, clock, dates, etc. do not appear).

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

sfc /scannow

3. I'm on a very slow Internet connection and currently unable to download the ISO image as suggested.

Issue remains to be resolved.

It appears that this issue only happens with the taskbar is on the top or bottom of the display and not if it is on the right or left side of the display. This is frustrating, I'm accustomed to using the taskbar on the bottom of the screen and now I have to retrain my thinking to go to the right side.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Apologies for the dalayed response. The issue might be caused either by a corrupted system files or by corrupt user profile. Have you already gone through the repair install? This method could really help when it comes to fixing corrupted system files. Also, try creating a new user account to see if the issue is caused by the corrupted user profile.

To add a new account, go to Settings > Accounts > Family & other users > Add someone else to this PC. Make sure that you are currently logged into an administrator account. Here is a complete guide to do that: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5440-add-lo...
Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

After creating a new account, see if the issue has been sorted out. If so and if you decide to stay on that new account then you can move or copy files from your old to the new created account by accessing those files in C:\Users folder, and make sure you are currently logged in as administrator or you know the password of the administrator account in that computer.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

There are multiple reports of the same so you are not alone.

Have you tried turning off news and interests? This has worked for many.

Sumit

Dell Inspiron 5590| Intel Core i5-10210U| 12GB DDR4| Nvidia MX230|Windows 11 preview

4 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

You will see this if:

- KB5003214 is installed

- News and Interests on the taskbar is turned off, and

- Your DPI scaling (Settings|System|Display|Scale and layout is other (larger?) than 100%

Change any one of those, and the problem goes away. I found the most useful option to

be uninstalling KB5003214. I have zero interest in the News and Interests widget.

20 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

You will see this if:

- KB5003214 is installed

- Your DPI scaling (Settings|System|Display|Scale and layout is other (larger?) than 100%

Change any one of those, and the problem goes away. I found the most useful option to

be uninstalling KB5003214. I have zero interest in the News and Interests widget.

Exactly the same issue. If the issue is with this news widget being turned off, I wonder if it is worth living with the news widget turned on until this taskbar bug is fixed.

7 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue, here...

Very annoying...

Have turned on News and interests (icon only), and hopefully that'll resolve the issue.

I'm set to 200% scaling, so fingers crossed...

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Your suggestion appears to solve the issue.

I first noticed this notification area / icon disappearance after installing the 2004 feature update a few days ago. I spent the past several days trying the any number of suggestions including restarting windows explorer, run superantispy, sfc, DISM, delete icon db, and a few more. Nothing worked.

For my hardware setup i have several high res 4k monitors. I have DPI set to 150 (cannot read text otherwise)

Turning this new widget ON seems to have stopped disappearing icon behavior.

And i have 2 other PCs i updated exactly in same way on same day. Both do NOT need or have the DPI adjustment. I did the opposite on those devices setting news to OFF and neither shows any disappearing icons.

I would prefer to turn the widget off but its not a big deal and now that i know the root issue i will leave it on until this is fixed.

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

You will see this if:

- KB5003214 is installed

This problem not only persists with the June patch Tuesday update (KB5003637), but it now extends to 20H2 and 2004 in addition to 21H1. As if that weren't bad enough, this is no longer an optional update. If you uninstall it, it automatically re-installs itself unless you shut off automatic updates completely.

KB5003637 is supposed to be a security patch. New features, let alone ones that don't work and

break things that do, have no business being in a security patch!!!

You can uninstall KB5003637 and then block its re-installation using wushowhide.diagcab, but that's a lousy solution. You'll be missing the security patches in that update.

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

My notifications have come back. I've done two things, updated with KB5003637 and also added the desktop toolbar to the taskbar. I don't think that the update resolved the issue since the notifications did not come back after i updated Windows 10. Adding the desktop toolbar seems to have resolved the problem. This is only speculation, but my notification icons have returned and I'm able to park the taskbar on the bottom of the screen and view the notification icons.

Just fuel for thought on this issue.

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 27, 2021 Views 1,732 Applies to: