Disabling Laptop Keyboard causes system error

I'm hoping someone can help here because I'm at a loss on what I can do.

About a month ago the keyboard on my laptop started producing some strange results. Left ctrl stopped working, my laptop thought that the shift key was in a constant perpetual state of being pressed rapidly. After a few failed attempts at fixing this I decided to purchase an external keyboard which has been working perfectly.

The issue now is the internal keyboard. Of course if you just disable its drivers and uninstall it will keep coming back on reboot so I decided to edit my laptops group policies.

I went into Administrative Templates > System, Device Installation and chose this option:

Prevent Installation of Devices not described by other policy settings and edit this option, setting it to enabled

Everything seemed to be fine until I restart. Now I'm stuck in a loop of blue screen errors that will not end.

wdf0100 and Critical process died are the two that I'm seeing.

At this point I don't care about having to disable the internal keyboard each time I reset. I'd just like to get rid of these errors without having to do a full reset of my machine. Troubleshoot is coming up fine as is command prompt. Repair doesn't seem to be doing anything though as it keeps giving me blue screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 installed?
  • What is the make and model of the PC?
  • Are you able to boot the PC to Safe mode from WinRE mode?

If you are unable to boot the PC to Safe Mode, then we would suggest you to perform these methods, before proceeding, disconnect if any devices are connected to the computer except, keyboard and mouse:

Create a bootable media using a different PC and boot the affected PC using the media.

Method 1: System Restore using WinRE use bootable media

1. Use the Bootable media to boot the PC.
  2. Boot from the media and choose “Repair your computer.”
  3. Under Advanced troubleshooting, select Troubleshoot.
  4. Under Advanced options screen, you will see System Restore.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD

1. Use the Bootable media to boot the PC.
  2. On the initial setup screen, select the language and other preferences and click on Next. (If you don't see the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.)
  3. Now, click on Repair your computer.
  4. On the System Recovery Options screen, select Troubleshoot> Advanced options > Command Prompt.
  5. Now type in the commands and hit Enter:
    bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h –r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /RebuildBcd

Additionally, refer the steps as mention in this article:

Troubleshoot blue screen errorsrefer (While using my device)

Fix Error 0xEF: Critical_process_died

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You can try using another Group policy setting instead of the one you're using. It's called "Prevent Installation of devices that match any of these device IDs". Enter the Hardware Id of the internal keyboard and disable it. Then uninstall the device from the Device manager. Detailed steps and screenshots HERE.         

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2023 Views 172 Applies to: