Disable windows 7 auto dim at desktop

Looking to disable the windows 7 auto dim feature at the desktop. I have a cheap E1331G connected to Sharp 46" HDMI HDTV. I use it for multimedia, netflix, web browsing etc.. The set up works great with 1 or more applications running (browser, I-Tunes, etc..) but once they are minimized or apps are closed (desktop) the display dims to 50% or more. I find this extremly aggrivaintg and looking to disable.
Thanks Kevin

Hi,

Were there any changes made on the computer prior to the issue?

Auto dim or also referred to as Smart Dimmer in Windows 7 is available in computer systems that have the hardware which supports this feature.

Please see the troubleshooting steps that would help resolve your issue:

a.     Open Power Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

b.     Under the current power plan, click Change plan settings.

c.     On the Change settings for the plan page, click on Change advanced power settings.

d.     In Advanced settings, scroll down the menu, click on Display and see if you find the dim feature listed here.

You may change the settings for Auto dim if present under display, accordingly to as you want.

If you are not able to find this feature in Advanced Power plan settings, I would suggest you to create a power plan, so as to meet your requirements.

Please see the link below to change, create, or delete a power plan scheme (power plan includes the behavior of dim feature which you can configure).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-create-or-delete-a-power-plan-scheme

Rohit S

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No changes were made to the computer since new. It was purchased exclusively as a multimedia source to be connected to the HDTV. The box has always dimmed at the desktop.

I tried creating a new power plan as suggested here is this thread. I had already tried this from a previous thread but due to date of thread decided to run another. No l luck obviously.

There is no dim option available anywhere in the power options that I can find. The OS is Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Like I said before the box runs fine its just an annoyance that I was hoping to resolve.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no option for dimming the video on an external display, only for internal laptop displays.

Check your TV to see if there are any power saving or auto adjusting settings and try adjusting as necessary.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no option for dimming the video on an external display, only for internal laptop displays.

Check your TV to see if there are any power saving or auto adjusting settings and try adjusting as necessary.

OK thanks. I see the option on my D630. Didn't catch that one. Many thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

Do reply us about the status of the issue whether it is resolved or not.

Rohit S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not resolved.
As the troubleshooting response says it must be a setting in my Sharp TV. rather than Windows it self. I find it odd that the dimming only happens at the desktop and won't auto dim on a XP Pro box I connected for testing. Strange.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
the only other thing is turning off the sleep when closed option and or sleep after certain time frame.
eddie b
The answer is in the details!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nailed this one!!!

I have HP displays which have this Energy Star feature automagically enabled - man what a pain!  Thanx a bunch for this!!!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2022 Views 2,841 Applies to: