Disable sign on with a local account - Windows 10

I set up a Microsoft account and parental controls to limit the amount of time my child can spend on the computer.  However, my child showed me how this can be circumvented, by selecting "Sign on with a local account instead".  How do I prevent my child from circumventing the time limits, either by disabling the ability to sign in with a local account in Windows 10, or some other method?

Thank you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Kermithln,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.
I appreciate your interest in windows 10. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I need more information about this issue so that I can assist you better.

1. Does it happen only with a particular child account?
2. Have you tried to set time for another child account?
3. What is the make and model of your computer?

I would suggest you to remove that local account and check.

Follow the steps.

Firstly, to delete a user account you should be logged in as an administrator.

Check if the Microsoft user account which you have signed in an Administrator account. Follow the below steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” together from the keyboard.
  2. Click on Control Panel.
  3. Click on User Accounts and Family Safety.
  4. Click on User accounts.
  5. Click on the Microsoft account and check if it is Administrator.

If the Microsoft account is an Administrator then you can delete the account by following the below steps.

When you delete a user account, you can choose whether you want to keep the files created under that account, however e-mail messages and computer settings for the account will be deleted.

1. Press “Windows key + X” together on the keyboard.
  2. Click on Control Panel.
  3. Click on User Accounts and Family Safety.
  4. Click on User Accounts.
  5. Click  on Manage another account. (If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.)
  6. Click the account you want to delete, and then click Delete the account.
  7. Decide if you want to keep or delete the files created under the account by clicking Keep Files or Delete Files.
  8. Click  on Delete Account.

If it doesn't work I would suggest you to create new child account then try to set to use the PC during the time range.

To create new child account please follow the below link:
Note:  It is also applicable for windows 10 as well.

To Allow User to Only Use the PC During the Time Ranges follow the below steps.

1. Go to Control Panel then Family safety .
2. Under Family safety select User settings then Time Limits then Curfew.

3. Select "When can Standard-example use the Pc under this
select Standard-example can only use the pc during the time ranges. 

4. To Block hours click/tap on a white box, or click/tap and hold and drag over a group of white boxes and release, to mark it blue for each half hour of each day that you want to block.

5. To unblock hours click/tap on a blue box, or click/tap and hold and drag over a group of blue boxes and release, to mark it white for each half hour of each day that you want to unblock.

I hope this helps.
Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Reply to question...

1.  There is 1 child account and one administrator account (me) on the computer.

2.  Setting time limits works, as a notification pops up when my child exceeds the time.  However, he can choose to sign on as a local account instead on the logon screen.

3.  The computer is a Lenovo G570 (laptop).  The OS was recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

When I set up the Microsoft account, I removed the local account.  I set up the child account by going to Start > Settings > Family & Others.  From there, I clicked Add a Family Member, and followed the process to create a child account with an email address.  My child then had to sign into his email account to accept the invitation.  I went online to set up the time constraints and other options.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Clearly you aren't understanding the inconvenience. As replied below, setting up a child account and limiting time isn't the issue nor is training required to reinforce how to do this. The problem is that the restrictions can easily be circumvented by clicking the "Sign in with a local account instead" in the "Your Account" settings. As long as the person knows the account password it allows a non-admin user to create a new user account that is not controlled by any restrictions put in place.

One option would be to have only the administrator know the child's account password (which is required to "Sign in with a local account instead") and then create/share the pin with the child which will still allow them to login and use the computer but not circumvent the restrictions. This is, however, only a workaround and Microsoft should still come up with a solution that disables the ability for a child account to "Sign in with a local account instead". What's the point of setting up restrictions if they can be easily bypassed?

Please fix this problem!!!

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nice to hear that someone else understands the problem.  Hopefully there is a fix soon.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just found out BOTH of my kids figured this out and they were surfing the web during off times that I thought the machine would be off.  There has to be a solution for this asap.  This is unacceptable.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here.  Sure would appreciate a fix from Microsoft.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Obviously you do not understand the problem. Please test it out before replying.

We need to prevent child account from loggin to local account so as to prevent parental monitoring on the PC.

I am facing the same problem as well.

Please get it fix ASAP!

Thanks.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am in the same boat with all of you.  My son figured out right away that he could bypass family safety in Windows 10 by selecting the local account option.  There is an obvious error here that allows a child to do this without an administrator password.  Microsoft needs to fix this right away as it makes family safety essentially useless in Windows 10.  The only workaround I have is to keep the childs MS account password private and allow him to log in to his Surface with a PIN.  While that is a temporary fix for the one device, it locks him out of using OneDrive for his schoolwork, which is his current method of retrieving his work on the Chromebooks at his school.  He also needs his password for using the online version of office 365.   If I could find a way to create another password for his online MS account that would keep him working, but I have not found a way to do that.  If any parents find a solution please post.  I fear family safety will remain a low priority for MS and may not work until we have the much needed windows 10.1.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Preeti (from Microsoft)

I noticed you replied in the first part of this thread.  Can you confirm that Microsoft is looking into this bug?  This is very detrimental to a family and can cause very long term issues.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For other users in the forum I have gone as far as attempting to disable creation of local accounts using the computer management system but no luck. I hope MS is working on a fix for this. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 14,327 Applies to: