Disable blur on lock screen when opening a Windows session (1903 update)

Hi,

1903 Update introduces lock screen blurring when connecting to a Windows session. Problem I have is that prevents the user from appreciating the wallpaper I set specially for the lock screen as opening a Windows session can be quite long. I suggest there should be a setting that allow us to disable the blur.

Thanks for your time.

Discussion Info

Last updated June 1, 2020 Views 8,184 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It is possible to prevent that blurred sign in screen.

On this page you find instructions how to turn off that blurred screen with Gropup Policy Editor (Pro) or with Regedit (Home/Pro).

https://winaero.com/blog/disable-blur-login-screen-windows-10-group-policy/

You can also go to Settings / Personalization / Colors and turn Transparency effect Off.

That will work also, but then transparency effect is gone as well.

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Hello Shenmue,

The tutorial below can help show you how to disable the acrylic blur effect on your sign-in screen in Windows 10.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/124993-enable-disable-acrylic-blur-effect-sign-screen-windows-10-a.html

Hi,

1903 Update introduces lock screen blurring when connecting to a Windows session. Problem I have is that prevents the user from appreciating the wallpaper I set specially for the lock screen as opening a Windows session can be quite long. I suggest there should be a setting that allow us to disable the blur.

Thanks for your time.

I did it with the addition of a Registry Key "DisableAcrylicBackgroundOnLogon", set to 1, Google for further details if you need to. However it strikes me that a "cosmetic" change like this should be easily user customisable (i.e. not have to use RegEdit), better still, user should be prompted to keep or revert the feature on first login after the upgrade. A "settings changed this upgrade" icon  could be added to the "settings"  App, so that these optional features can all be tweaked from one well know place. It seems ridiculously contradictory that a feature added to make life easier for a user is so difficult to configure.

Bill

Sat. 07/27/2019 @11:40 am CDT - Good morning. Please note that I tried to do the Registry version of the solution proposed. However, the key recommended to start with didn't exist in my registry. I checked twice to make sure. This is for Win10 / 1903, installed earlier this month. 

Secondly, the Personalization solution of just turning off all transparencies didn't fix the problem, either. I believe there was one more proposed, which I'll try shortly. And for the record, I'm not a rookie; been changing settings in the Registry for a long time. 

I will let the forum know what the outcome of #3 turned out to be. Thank you. 

Ms. J. S. Butler

Hi,

Thanks for your time.

Hi Shenmue,

I agree there should be a "switch" in the settings app to disable "Only" the Acrylic Effect. You can go into your Settings/ Personalization / colors / transparency Effects / and turn it off there, However this will turn off ALL transparency to other apps that use it. Or there is a Registry "Hack" out there that will do it, BUT I would Never Suggest anyone to Hack there registry. And if you do, Always make sure you have a Backup of the registry first(Preferably a Complete Disk Image). But for the time being, the best we can do is to Post This "Suggestion" for a Disable Switch In Settings On the "Feedback Hub". this way MS engineers will have a better chance of seeing it and possibly adding this to a upcoming Update.  

I Hope This Help You

If My Reply Answered Your Question, Please Mark It Answered. Thank-You

OMG

The blur on the lock screen is intentional. It's one of Windows 10's new design elements, called 'Acrylic.' It was implemented because so many people complained that the existing design was flat and boring. They wanted a return to something more like Windows Vista's Aero.

Microsoft knew that many of its users, perhaps most, were fine with flat and boring, because eye candy doesn't improve Windows' performance but it does place a burden of the graphics subsystem.

And so Microsoft made it possible to turn off the Acrylic feature:

Start > Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency effects > Off

This works. If it doesn't, then you've got a problem that's not caused by Acrylic. There's no need to edit the registry to make this happen.

thanks took care of the settings

Hi,

Thanks for your time.

Reply In reply to deleted message

I cannot believe that Microsoft could actually blur the lock screen on purpose,

not that the lock screen pics are that important, but I'd rather look at a clear

picture than a blurry one!   Maybe some people do not feel that comfortable

messing around with their registry to fix the issue!

I cannot believe that Microsoft could actually blur the lock screen on purpose,

not that the lock screen pics are that important, but I'd rather look at a clear

picture than a blurry one!   Maybe some people do not feel that comfortable

messing around with their registry to fix the issue!