"detected fatal error" windows 10 quality update

Hello, 

I saw this error when trying to do a windows 10 update. Afterwards I tried to reinstall (deleting all files) and it said there was a problem and it needs to restart. 

Now there is a reoccurring blue screen saying that the computer ran into an error and needs to restart. It is a continuous loop. I can not activate safe mode or access the command prompt. I can not force it to open in the recovery system (power on, power off three times). 

I'm trying to download the tool for a clean install, but the internet connection is not good here. Any thoughts on how I can get back into my computer to try to reset the computer? 

It came with windows 8 and I updated it years ago to windows 10. It crashed during a quality update. I previously had version 1809.

I tried to call the numbers on the microsoft support page and couldn't get through. 

Thank you for your help! 

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi MicheFR

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

If you were running Windows 10 1903 at the time of this crash, it might have been triggered by KB4512941.

From another working computer, download and make a bootable copy.

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Step 2 How to Prepare Bootable Install Media for Windows 10 - DVD, USB or SD Card
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Review the following guide for instructions and details about configuring your BIOS or UEFI boot settings for DVD, CD, USB or SD Card.

BIOS/UEFI Setup Guide: Boot from a CD, DVD, USB Drive or SD Card
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/bios-uefi-setu...

Once your computer is set to boot from the DVD or USB, you should see this option.

The Windows logo will appear on screen, this might be here for a while, as long as you see the indicater, everything should be ok.

Select your Language, Time and Keyboard method then click Next.

Click Install now

Setup will also prompt you to select the edition you have a license for - Home or Pro. Please make sure you choose the right edition. If you choose the wrong edition, your only option will be to perform a clean install again.

The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:

Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core should install Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro should install Windows 10 Pro

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHICH EDITION YOUR SYSTEM CAME WITH, CHOOSE WINDOWS 10 HOME.

Wait while Setup starts.

Accept the license terms and click Next

Click Custom

Select the Primary Partition then click Next

You will receive the following warning:

The partition you selected might contain files from a previous Windows Installation. If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old. You will be able to access the information in Windows.old, but you will be able to use your previous version of Windows.

Click OK

Wait while Windows installs

When this phase of setup is complete, Windows will automatically restart and reboot into setup again.

Windows is detecting and installing your hardware. After this is complete, Windows will restart one last time.

Out of Box Experience

The Out of Box Experience page is where you get to configure detailed settings in Windows, which includes creating a user account, privacy, sync PC settings and install modern applications.

Windows will check if there is an active Internet connection. If it does not find one, you will be presented with the following screen.

Create a Local Account and click Next

Wait while Windows finalizes your settings

Continue to wait while Windows installs modern applications.

When setup is complete you can retrieve any personal files from the Windows.old

Browse to C:\ Local Disk and open the Windows.old folder

how to recover your files from Windows.old:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

KB4512941 will try to install again, especially if you are connected to the Internet while reinstalling. I recommend you remain disconnected throughout that process.

Here are steps how to block the update:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/block-windows-...

Information in the above link is sourced from a trusted Microsoft MVP blog.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, 

Thank you for your reply. I was just looking up articles that you have referenced when I received your message. It's good to know I was on the right track. 

One question, to get to the BIOS screen, I need to get out of the loop of restarting my computer with the blue screen. 

Before I could press the power button and when the computer logo came up, press and hold the power button (I did this 3x) and I could access my computer... 

Now, when I do this (or simply start my computer) it is on an endless loop of "your computer ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're collecting data and will restart for you". 

It just doesn't stop. 

I really think all of the steps you suggested will work (stores are now closed here so I have to wait for tomorrow to get an extra memory card). But, I can't implement them if I can't change the boot sequence. 

Any thoughts? 

And thanks again for your reply! 😊 

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Ps I forgot to add that before the windows update, I was on version 1809. Does that make a difference? I would think your suggestions would still work? 

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MicheFR

The BIOS should be the first thing that loads before Windows 10, but if its loading the Automatic Repair screen each time you turn the screen on, you likely need to do the following:

- Try resetting your BIOS defaults:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reset-pc-bios-...

If that does not work and you have a desktop computer...

Power down
Unplug it
Open the system unit

Remove the CMOS CR-2032 battery
Plug it in, start the machine, wait 10 seconds

Power down, unplug it, reinstall the CMOS CR-2032 battery
Plug it in again, power up

If its a laptop, you can also try removing the battery if the option is available.

Do you know the make and model of the computer?
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello André, 

It's a laptop, an Asus chi t300. I don't know if i can easily get to the battery mentioned to reset BIOS, but I will definitely look into it. I know I opened it up one time a few years ago, but I don't remember anything about seeing that. The article you linked to is very helpful. Thank you. 

By the automatic repair screen, do you mean where there are the options to troubleshoot, etc?

If so, I don't even get there. It just says that there was a problem, it's collecting data and will restart. It never goes to a screen to actually do any repairs. The last time I saw a screen with options was this morning. :/

It is getting late where I'm at so I'm going to try tackling this tomorrow morning. 

Thank you again for your help. I'll be sure to contact you if/when I get stuck. 

Have a great day! 

Michelle 

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

How long do wait to determine it is in an endless loop? If you are going to bed, I would leave it on over night plugged in to see if it will figure itself out by morning. Sometimes that works.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm glad I checked my email and saw this! I determined it was an endless loop after 45 minutes. 

Normally, after three times it goes to the screen where you can troubleshoot, etc. 

I am happy to leave it running overnight in hopes that some kind of Microsoft magic happens in the night. 

Fingers crossed! 

Thanks again. Tomorrow is going to be a better computer day. I can feel it! 

Best regards, 

Michelle 

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Michelle

Thanks for that additional information. 45 Minutes is kinda early, hopefully the overnight process will do the trick. If not, we can explore more options.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, 

I've had quite a few obstacles to overcome since we last spoke. I have finally downloaded the ISO file, but  I am needing to get it to my 32G USB.

The extra computer that I have with windows 8 didn't have enough memory to download the file, so I had to use an even older computer with XP. (sigh) 

I downloaded Rufus 2.18 and put my SD card (in a USB adapter) and formatted my disk to fat32. 

However, when I tried to mount the ISO file to the card, it changed to a NTFS format. 

I didn't notice this when I first hit start... So I just saved the ISO as a NTFS. 

Now when I try to save it as fat32, it says that file system can't be used with this ISO. Choose a different file system or ISO. 

Will this work as a bootable drive if it's NTFS? 

BTW my computer never stopped rebooting after 24 hours. I even tried a "hard" shutdown as advised by Asus.

I found another option using the power and volume down button, but haven't tried that yet as I've been swamped with figuring out which computer and programs I can use to download the ISO file. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Best regards, 

Michelle

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again, 

I was able to press the volume down and power button to get into the BIOS settings, but I did not see the option to boot from a USB port. 

My computer still go to the "your computer has had a problem and needs to restart" screen where it "collects data" and then reboots. 

I have not been able to enter the "Automatic repair" screen. 

I have not been able to successfully boot windows. 

I'm being to think this update killed my computer. 

Any thoughts? 

Thank you again for your help! 

Best regards, 

Michelle

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 8, 2021 Views 717 Applies to: