Desktop Windows Manager (DWM) memory leakage in Windows 10 (Version 2004).

The infamous dwm.exe hogging lots of memory. FYI this is not a specific program issue. It just happens with any programs, activities randomly.

I'm getting really tired of killing dwm.exe every so often so that it will release the occupied memory. When is this going to be fixed? Is this ever going to be fixed even?

|

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I finally found the thread!

This is just taken moments ago, with DWM.exe inflating to a massive 17GB. I'm also running on a gaming laptop on Windows 10 20H2, as well as Intel UHD 620 and Nvidia RTX 2080 Super Max-Q.

We are aware that the Intel graphics driver 26.20.100.7985 is the last known best working set that had no such memory leak issue. This was highlighted to Intel support but they aren't able to replicate this problem.

And I second to most affected users here, any normal activity or usage after 3-4 hours would result in a bloated memory usage by DWM, killing the process wouldn't resolve either as it usually comes back after a while.

I also found some inconsistencies with Windows shutdown and startup, where if I did a full shutdown the bloating issue is partially resolved. However, this doesn't fully solve the problem as it usually picks up after a few boot cycles.

I'd like to implore Microsoft engineers to fully investigate this and urge to collaborate with Intel to find out the root cause of the issue.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Hmmm, same problem here, but the behavior is a little bit different...

Using the latest driver 27.20.100.9079, DWM definitely leaks memory (sometimes inflating to a maximum size of ~2G), but it somehow manages to reclaim some of them, and the memory usage drops back after a while, maintaining an average usage under ~500M

Weird, right? Right now it's at ~100M after running for 3 days😂

One thing I can confirm is that switching windows/desktop will cause memory usage to rise, but I've never managed to replicate a rise to above 500M in my testing

The rig is a Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 2, Xeon E-2276M w/ UHD 630, 24G RAM, and a Quadro T2000

Running 20H2, Build 19042.685

P.S. Might've discovered a svchost(Agent Activation Runtime) handle leak on my way to testing...😅Right now it seems to be stable at ~4 million handles, with no obvious influence on the system...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an notebook with Intel 8th i5 with Intel UHD graphics 620 and I noticed twice, the memory leak. So I reinstalled with the latest version of Intel driver, seems to be fine right now. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not the exact case for me.

Recently I've found out that hybrid shut down does cause DWM.exe to bloat. I tried the Shift + Shut Down sequence for a full shutdown and the DWM memory leak issue doesn't appear.

I'm currently on Intel 27.20.100.9168 build and Nvidia 461.40. I highly suspect the Hibernation is either bugged or the fast startup is causing the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

btw could you help me how to downgrade intel graphic driver please. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

PLEASE CREATE ANOTHER THREAD! This is not a chat place where you simply get solutions. This problem is different, and yours is different too. To create a new thread/question, click 'Ask a question' above this site.
It's easy to ride down a hill while it's hard to climb the hill back up. Like that, it's easy to malfunction a computer while it's hard to fix it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update to this issue:

Apparently when the system goes to sleep/hibernate, the DWM process would massively inflate into the gigabyte region. This also applies to hybrid shutdown as compared to full shutdown. Running on Windows 10 build 19042.844, with the graphics driver as 27.20.100.9313 for Intel HD and 461.51 for Nvidia.

It's clear cut that there are more users facing this issue and Microsoft and Intel aren't looking into it. Apart from restarting DWM process via Task Manager for a short term resolution, there is no other way to resolve this. The issue would either return to bloat even more, or it's some issue with sleep/hibernation that's causing an excessive waste of onboard resources leading to performance and inefficiency.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, in my experience, the bloat happens when using the computer normally. The only thing that resolves for now is downgrading the Intel driver.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately, yes that's the only viable solution, at the expense of possibly unpatched security vulnerabilities, and reduced performance.

I've done a lot of extensive testing. It seems that hybrid sleep/hibernation is the root cause of this. It's a massive shame that Microsoft/Intel aren't seriously looking at this "resource wastage" problem, leaving it to the consumers at their own in circles.

One moderator in Intel forums mentioned that we had to bring up the issue to Microsoft forums for their attention, since they couldn't get the same issue as many of us are facing, replicated one-for-one. And Microsoft forums doesn't seem to be looking into this matter. What a huge cul-de-sac dilemma we have...

Another method is to disable hibernation or sleep, and perform a full shut down (Shift + Shut down). Hybrid shut down will also result in DWM.exe leaking badly too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been experiencing the same issue, with DWM having a huge memory leak and grinding my laptop to a halt a few hours after a hibernation. The problem went away when I downgraded my Intel UHD 630 driver from version 27.20.100.8935 to version 26.20.100.8141, but I'd really rather have the latest drivers for security and compatibility purposes. I'm on Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 on a Dell G5 5587 with Dell BIOS 1.14.0, 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 2, 2021 Views 13,304 Applies to: