Desktop will not load after Windows 10 update - screen flashing

Hi,

My computer has been rendered pretty much unusable by recent Windows 10 updates.  We bought it approximately 8 months ago (it's an HP Pavilion) and it was working fine until a month or so ago.  Since then, having attempted to update to a newer build of Windows 10, it refuses to work.

The login screen shows as usual but, once the password had been entered, it doesn't load the desktop.  Instead, the screen keeps flashing to black and it tries to load the desktop - flashing - desktop - flashing - desktop.  Occasionally, it gets as far as loading the desktop icons, but only around 1 attempt in 10.

I've done as much reading as I can, and things I think this isn't:

1. This doesn't seem to be a display driver issue - task manager loads just fine.  When it does, it generally shows CPU usage of 80%-100%

2. This isn't an issue with error reporting or problem log - I've disabled them both and it still happens

3. There isn't a hardware issue - I can recover the computer, but as soon as it tries to load the most recent security updates, the issue happens again

4.  It doesn't happen in safe boot, but does happen in clean boot, so it can't be a third-party app causing the problem

5.  Last time I saw a new error message, about not being able to load explorer.exe and not being able to find shell:::{5dfb-447d-801a-d0b52f2e83e1}

6.  I have tried to uninstall the most recent updates (KB4040724) the only time I was able to hit Windows + I fast enough to load the settings menu (like task manager - works without a problem).  Didn't seem to make any difference

7.  To date, the only applications we have actually downloaded onto the computer are Chrome and Citrix.  Neither of those were on the latest recovery, so it really must be a problem with native Windows software.

Before the update, I was running build 1511.  The update took me to 1703 15063.632.  I have tried forcing the update myself.  I have tried downloading the update tool and updating from there.  I have tried disabling the forced update service, but they happened anyway.  Nothing seems to make any difference.

This computer is basically unusable - we can't take it back to where we bought it because it's clearly a sotware issue.  I'd be eternally grateful for anyone who can help me understand what is going on and how to fix it.

Thanks,

Can you boot into Safe Mode again then try the following method to remove the recent update? Press Windows key + R Type: appwiz.cpl Hit Enter Click View installed updates Select the recent update Right click it then click uninstall. Try uninstalling the update to see if it restores functionality. Press Windows key + R Type: appwiz.cpl Hit Enter Open View Installed Updates Right click the recently installed updates since this started happening Click uninstall Restart your computer then check if you can load the desktop successfully.
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If that doesn't help then here are other steps to recover from a WIndows or Version Update that makes Windows fail to start. I will help you work through the steps, or you can contact HP Support which provides an included one year Support and Replacement warranty (which you do not need to pay extra for if they try to sell you up): 1) Try whichever method works here to get into Advanced Startup Options to run System Restore if this is a Windows Update, or Go Back to Old Version if this is a version update. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html If you are able to access System Restore or Go Back and it fails, skip to step 3. 2) If necessary create bootable installation media to access the repair options if not accessible by any other method: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install Boot media by powering up the PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/23010-bios-boot-menu-f-keys-hotkeys-system-manufacturer-oem.html Choose UEFI version of media if offered, browse to second screen to Repair Your Computer link, then Advanced Troubleshoot options - to run System Restore to a point before the problem began. 3) If this fails try a Startup Repair, or go back to Troubleshoot Options on the previous screen to Reset your PC which will save your files while reinstalling Windows. 4) If that fails you can use the booted media to do a Clean Install which compiles the best possible install of Windows 10 that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-reinstall-windows-10-upgradefactory-oem/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587 Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I'll keep working with you until it's resolved.
Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you both so much for your help.  Have been travelling this week, but got around to attempting to fix the other day. 

With some frantic button pressing whilst the screen was flashing, I got Windows + I and selected the 'go back to previous Windows version' option (@Greg - Option 1).  So I was running 1511 again, which worked fine.

Yesterday, Windows has managed to install some cumulative security updates:

KB890830, KB4035632, KB3172729, KB3150513, KB3152599, KB4041689, KB890830

again - all worked fine.  Today, though, the 'Your device needs the latest security updates' window popped up, saying I need to install the most current version of Windows 10.  This is the thing that has killed it every time. 

I used the Windows 10 updater tool to download the newest version.  True to form:

1. The new version of Windows downloaded and installed and the computer restarted

2. I logged in and got scrolling messages about 'hi, we're installing some important updates'.  'It's taking a bit longer than expected but we'll get there as fast as we can' (who writes this stuff?!)

4.  It restarted and the screen started flashing again

I re-booted to safe mode, and looked at recent updates.  There were two installed today:

KB4021572

KB4041676

I uninstalled KB4021572 and restarted.  Still flashing, and CPU usage constantly >66%

So I re-booted to safe mode again, and uninstalled the KB 4041676 (Creators Update).

Screen still flashing!

I re-booted to safe mode, and back into installed updates.  A new one pops up as having installed today: KB4025342, which I can’t select to uninstall.  This update wasn’t showing before I uninstalled the other two. 

System information says I am now running Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063.  Windows Update Assistant congratulates me for running the latest version of Windows 10.

Short of recovering again, I’m now at an impasse, and would really value any further advice as what to try next.  Is that last update the one causing the problem?  Why can’t I uninstall it?  @Greg – should I try your bootable installation media?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft prodded me as to whether this was sorted, so thought I would add a quick reply. Any advice on my previous response much appreciated.

james 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

A possible reason why you're screen flashes is due to corrupted system files on your computer. We recommend that you try the suggestion of Greg Carmack - Windows MVP to use the Media Creation Tool. Follow the steps provided on his previous reply.

Keep us posted with the result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

A possible reason why you're screen flashes is due to corrupted system files on your computer. We recommend that you try the suggestion of Greg Carmack - Windows MVP to use the Media Creation Tool. Follow the steps provided on his previous reply.

Keep us posted with the result.

Hello,

I found this post after searching the same issue I am having with my daughters HP Pavillion PC, following a recent Windows 10 update, last week. Tarb's flashing screen description appears to be identical to my daughters. I've reset the PC to factory setting which then went on to update files in setup resulting in a repeat of the issue.

Can you advise me if this issue has been resolved and how I might fix my daughters PC? Shes currently doing her A Levels and tearing her hair out in frustration.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pete,

Based on what you've mentioned about having the same concern, we'd like to confirm if you've tried also the suggestion provided Greg Carmack - Windows MVP which was to use the Media Creation tool to perform some troubleshooting steps, apart from the factory reset that you've already performed.

In the meantime, you may try to perform an in-place upgrade with Windows 10. This will help repairing any possible corrupted system files that may cause the issue. This will keep your personal files, settings, and installed applications. Please click this Forum Article created by PaulSey for the complete instructions.

We're just here if you need further help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Louie,

I intended to follow Greg's suggestion but thought I would try another attempt to do a factory reset first. I'm pleased to say that this time it was successful and I didn't get the message 'it's taking a bit longer than expected' come up. I've managed to re-install without a repeat of the problem. I'm hoping the update that caused the issue is now safely installed as part of the reset. If not I would be persuaded to try your suggestion of in-place upgrade with Windows 10 as next step.

Thanks for your help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We're glad to know that it became successful after performing another factory reset. Just in case you'll get the same result, you can try the suggested steps and also update this thread so we can provide additional assistance.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 18, 2022 Views 8,541 Applies to: