Desktop icons all squished up?

When I boot up my computer and go to the Desktop, all the icons are squished up and look like this:

So everytime I boot up my computer I have to select all the icons and non-squish them.

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I appreciate your efforts towards resolving the issue. I will certainly help you with the issue that you are facing.

This issue may arise when there is a conflict with the drivers or when the appearance settings are faulty. Try the following methods to diagnose and resolve the issue.

Method 1: Change wallpaper and theme

I would suggest you to change the wallpaper and theme on the computer. Sometimes such issues are resolved by doing the same.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/personalize-pc-tutorial

Method 2:

Follow the steps below and check.

1. Press Windows + R on the desktop screen.
  2. Type sysdm.cpl and click on OK.
  3. Go to advanced tab and click on performance.
  4. Under visual effects, choose "adjust for best performance"
  5. Click ok and close all the prompts.

Follow the same steps and select "adjust for best appearance" and check if it helps.

If the issue persists try method 3.

Method 3: Install latest driver

I would suggest you to install the latest graphic driver available for the graphic card model that you are using, by downloading it from the manufacturer’s website itself. Make sure you select the correct operating system and architecture.

Hope this information was helpful. Let us know the results once you have tried these methods. We'll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you

Regards,
Sahil Bali

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The icons on the screen shot don't look squished up to me. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 and have an external monitor run off the Microsoft docking station. On the external monitor, starting last week, the icons really look squished up. At Medium size setting all the icons are bunched up on the left side of the screen.  The labels are almost invisible, covered up by the icons. Again my external monitor used to display the icons just fine, but now something changed and they are all squished up.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Like above is an example from my desktop

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Like above is an example from my desktop

Mark from Virginia, I am having the same problem. I kept trying to change the size and it just kept screwing up the icons more. I also have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10. I'm currently updating the laptop, so hopefully that will help. If you figure it out, let me know!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2024 Views 5,954 Applies to: