Desktop freezes sometimes: Can't click on icons, drag selection rectangles, or get right click menu.

I can see my desktop and icons just fine, and everything else on my computer works perfectly. But sometimes my desktop will freeze up and only restarting my computer seems to fix it. If I open up my desktop as a folder via the start menu, I can access everything fine there, I just can't do anything from my actual desktop. Also if I personalize my desktop via the Desktop folder, I can change the wallpaper on the actual desktop and it changes instantly.

So far this seems to only happen right after talking in MSN Messenger, but it doesn't happen every time I talk in MSN so I'm not entirely sure if it's related.

It's a pretty new computer so this shouldn't be happening. I also don't want to have to restart my computer every time this happens, it shouldn't be happening.

Question Info

Last updated December 10, 2018 Views 32,935 Applies to:
Answer

It's starting to look like it indeed was a dust build up. Because about an hour ago my computer kept shutting down on me(Which has happened once before), so after trying everything I could to figure out what was wrong I took out my duster(which I rarely if ever use) and cleaned out the dust from my tower, the computer seems to be working now.

This will probably be the last time I buy a Certified Data computer, I didn't have to dust my previous computers every few months like I do this one.

21 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.