Desktop folder name in paths got translated into another language after OneDrive synchronisation. How do I rename it back?

Hello,

I tied my Desktop to a newly created OneDrive. Then I realized that some programs can't work with my files on Desktop, so I manually removed the Desktop form OneDrive folder by dragging it from there. The problem was still there and I realized that the Desktop folder got translated into OS default language, in this case Russian. Instead of "C:\Users\Username\Desktop" it is now "C:\Users\Username\Рабочий стол".

I can't fix the problem by simply renaming it in File Explorer, because it retains it Russian path name, instead of being named "Desktop". I tried to rename it through cmd, but "Desktop" just turns into a regular blanc file icon with no name that can't be opened and File Explorer can't open the files on Desktop, that is apparently still called "Рабочий стол", a folder that didn't exist. After I rename it back to Russian name, it fixes itself.

I want English "Desktop" back, because some of my progrmas can't read Cyrillic in file paths.

Hello, this is Emily.

Unfortunately you are not supposed to rename or drag it out, that can cause further issue.

This is the correct way to do so:

Right click on your OneDrive cloud icon from system tray (lower right near time display), Click on the Gear icon and launch Settings.

Click on "Manage backup" button, then turn off the backup for all the folders listed. Then restart the computer.

After that you should see your desktop folder back to C:\users\username\Desktop.

You might find some files missing. You just have to go to www.OneDrive.com and download them back from there.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 1,225 Applies to: