Delete or Not; "System Error Memory Dump Files" & "Debug Dump Files" in Windows 7 Disk Cleanup Program

I'm new to the Windows 7, 64-bit OS and in doing the Disk Cleanup program; there are 2 unfamiliar line items with boxes to check which are the "Debug Dump Files" and "System Error Memory Dump Files".  I am clueless as to what these files are and whether or not, they contain any files that possibly shouldn't be deleted.  Can anyone tell and educate me about what the Debug and System Error Memory Dump files are and if; I should or not check mark their boxes to get rid of all those particular type files?  Or, might there be certain Debug & System Error Memory Dump files that could be of some importance and shouldn't be deleted?

Thanks for your time and any feedback on this would greatly be appreciated.  Have a nice weekend.

Tom R    

Answer
Answer

One good thing about Windows Disk Clean up is , it only offer files which removing them is safe and won't harm your PC. Debug Dump Files and System Error Files are created when there is an error in your system and it create a Dump file which could be used for future analysis. Let say if you face blue screen error, dump file will create and if you analysis you will find cause of this issue. Whether you want to delete it or not , it is up to you , some people will just delete it while others will keep it to explorer themselves later on. But most importantly it is good idea to report them to Microsoft before deleting them.

To do so, open Control Panel and click on Action Center and under Maintenance , click on Check for solutions and then it will collect all information related to errors and dump files and it might ask permission to send them and if you grand permission , they will be sent. Once it was succeed you may delete them.

Sending dump files to Microsoft is a good idea, because there are teams which review them and they try to investigate the cause and resolve it either through Windows Update or notify you about possible solution in Action Center.

68 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 21,648 Applies to: