Default user logon logo showing a grey square with white key

Brand new Surface Pro 4 (with latest updates), on boot the logon screen displays a grey square with a low-res white key instead of the grey circle with user logo.  Any ideas why?

Logo that appears:

Logo that should appear but doesn't:

If it were my PC, I'd try to change your user account picture in your Settings / Accounts app to trigger the lock screen to update.  That is, change it once, apply, then change it back to the preferred option and apply once more.
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Shawn,

This problem only occurs at first boot.  Once logged in, the account picture shows fine.  The Surface is set to not remember the last login and, if I logout, the correct generic Windows logon picture then shows.  Only on first boot does the strange low-res key picture appear.

Thanks,

M.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I see.  Maybe you found a bug.  I can give it a shot myself on my Surface Pro 3 or in a VM (or both I suppose).  Did you just use the group policy editor to turn off the "display last user" option?
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just setup another Surface Pro 4 and have the same issue.  'Display last user' is disabled via a GPO.

Also, on an unrelated issue, this brand new SP4 I've just setup displayed the Blue Screen Of Death at first login!  Amazing!  But this device was running the first release build of W10 and also needed a firmware update.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think that Key icon shown when account belong to local or domain account or domain roaming account.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 4,162 Applies to: