Deceased Laptop Owner Password Reset

My father died and I have his laptop.  Would like to reset password for his HP (Windows 8) but I don't know his password to get beyond the log in screen.  He used his hotmail account which I don't know the password for either. I've tried several calls to Microsoft, but they keep rerouting back to a webpage where I enter as much info as I can about my dad and then submit the form.  Once I submit the form, an email answer comes back saying I haven't entered enough information to verify his account, but I don't know the answers to the questions their asking (former passwords, folder names, email subjects etc.) I can provide proof (death certificate) and I can verify my identity showing I'm next of kin (birth certif.) but I can't get to any live person or email that will allow me to get this far.  My dad wrote songs he kept on his laptop. I'd like to access them. I miss him. Please help

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2019 Views 12,546 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

The Microsoft Community can not help with lost or forgotten passwords per Microsoft Policy.

Keeping Passwords Secure- Microsoft Policy on Getting Around Passwords
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/keeping-passwords-secure-microsoft-policy-on/39f56ef0-5d68-41ad-9daa-6e6019c25d37

What to do if you forget your Windows password (Windows 8 & 8.1)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/forgot-windows-password

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle <- Mark Twain said it right!

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I didn't lose or steal any password. I never had it. I understand the need for security regarding passwords, but I just don't feel that my situation applies to the answer posted.  There should be exceptions to every rule.  Especially when I can provide proof.  I can't imagine why an almost new laptop should sit unused because of an unfortunate circumstance.  Thank you for your response. though.  I was able to get help from a microsoft agent on the phone regarding next of kin access.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I am sorry that we are not allowed to make any exceptions for any reasons. See the links 
I provided above. 

Check with Microsoft Support, a real computer shop, and/or HP's Support.

Rob  - SpiritX
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Sorry this didn't help.

That's a **** policy Rob.

106 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Following this thread because I have the same issue. My brother passed away and I would love to get his pictures off his Windows 7 laptop. But I don't know the password. 

Sorry this didn't help.

So is there any fix to this issue yet?  I have almost the exact same situation, my dad passed away and I don't have his password.  I can prove it all with his death certificate, my birth certificate (to show he was my dad), and whatever else.  I'm not sure there's anything on the computer I need, but I can't even upgrade it to Windows 10 because I don't have admin rights.  Obviously, this isn't some odd one-of-a-kind situations, but rather an unfortunately common one.  Please tell me there's a fairly easy resolution.  Thanks.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My mother had passed in November of 2014 and it took me almost a year to come around and open her laptop.  It was hard for me to come to terms with the situation.  Anyhow, Microsoft was of no help.  Multiple emails, and several calls that pretty much accumulated to about 10 hours over a span of 5 or 6 days. The first person was willing to reset the password, but unfortunately I waited so long, her cell phone was no longer in service so I couldn't receive a text.  A few other reps down the road stated that the password could not be reset because she was deceased. I was told the only thing they could do was provide me with copies of her most recent emails if I provided them with a certified copy of her death certificate and the paperwork from the court showing I am the administrator of the estate.  I have all the paperwork, but I didn't bother because my only goal was to unlock her computer.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am following this as well. My brother passed away 3 months ago and we can't get into his iPhone or his Windows 10 laptop... No one expects a 23 year old to die randomly. None of us know any of his passwords

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry for your loss, but you need to understand the purpose of password protection.  Suppose, just for the sake of discussion, that someone stole a computer and couldn't get past the login screen.  Suppose further that the person with the stolen computer concocted a story about deceased relatives in order to gain sympathy and help in defeating password protection.  I am not suggesting that you have nefarious purposes, but I think you should be able to understand why you can't get help with this here.   Here is the official Microsoft policy regarding lost passwords: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/189126

Sorry this didn't help.

I completely understand this. It's called social engineer. Because of those kinds of malicious people I will never be able to access my brothers phone to see what his last days were like. I won't be able to get on his computer to see his pictures or anything. 

I fully understand why I can't get access. I still search around just hoping that there is a way.

However, I don't see why we cannot get access to his windows account even if we provide the death certificate for my brother. I understand people calling microsoft and making up stories. However providing actual proof that someone is deceased should at least grant you something....

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.