Data controlled by you notification

Won`t go away. Have to select yes or no but comes back. Have looked in Windows 10 notifications but nothing there. Any ideas please?
Hi, TerryCotter

My name is Kathleen and I am an Independent Advisor. I would be happy to help you today.

I recommend using SFC
Press the Start key and type the word CMD, right click on the command prompt and select Run as administrator, enter the following commands one by one followed by the Enter key:
•- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
•- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
•- DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
•- sfc /scannow

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Let us know if these steps help you to resolve the issue.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Terry

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Its the data privacy controls now included with Office.

Try repairing Office if it keeps appearing each time you launch it.

Open Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & features
Scroll down to Microsoft Office
Select it
Click Change

Now, wait while the repair wizard starts up.

Choose the type of repair you would like to perform. Depending on the severity or availability of your Internet connection, you could try the first option, Quick Repair, which is much faster and tries to fix the problem without a data connection.

If that doesn’t resolve the problem, then go back and try the Online Repair option. For my particular issue, I ultimately had to use the Online Repair.

The repair process is straight-forward following the wizard. Note that you’ll need to save your work and close all Office programs first, and then click Repair.

Then wait while the repair process runs.

You will notice the repair experience is similar to a fresh installation. The amount of time it takes will depend on your connection speed and what the issue is.

You will see your Office apps light up in their respective colors while the repair completes.

Once the installation is complete, restart your computer just to be sure and launch your apps and verify if the problem you were having is resolved.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sams issue here with all office 365 products (Word, OneNote and Excel).

Tried solution below and they do not work

Very annoying !

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Terry

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Its the data privacy controls now included with Office.

Try repairing Office if it keeps appearing each time you launch it.

Open Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & features
Scroll down to Microsoft Office
Select it
Click Change

Now, wait while the repair wizard starts up.

Choose the type of repair you would like to perform. Depending on the severity or availability of your Internet connection, you could try the first option, Quick Repair, which is much faster and tries to fix the problem without a data connection.

If that doesn’t resolve the problem, then go back and try the Online Repair option. For my particular issue, I ultimately had to use the Online Repair.

The repair process is straight-forward following the wizard. Note that you’ll need to save your work and close all Office programs first, and then click Repair.

Then wait while the repair process runs.

You will notice the repair experience is similar to a fresh installation. The amount of time it takes will depend on your connection speed and what the issue is.

You will see your Office apps light up in their respective colors while the repair completes.

Once the installation is complete, restart your computer just to be sure and launch your apps and verify if the problem you were having is resolved.

Andre, i did solve it with your repair suggestion. Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sams issue here with all office 365 products (Word, OneNote and Excel).

Tried solution below and they do not work

Very annoying !

See Andre`s post re online repair it worked for me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We have escalated this issue to our engineering team and they are investigating this issue as this should not be happening. We would like to request logs for this issue. Please collect them on first launch and again on 2nd launch where the privacy wizard reappears.

WARNING: Do not post the logs in this thread! Reply to me so that I can provide the instructions on where to send it via private message

Export of the Roaming Hive:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Roaming

Automated Troubleshooter (Diagnostics Package):

1. http://aka.ms/icesdptool 
  2. Run the tool and repro your scenario, once the repro is complete. Finish the process.
  3. Note: if you do not want to give fiddler traces simply reject the certificate requests that will pop up. 
  4. The wizard will prompt you for a password to safeguard your trace files. Please provide a password. You can enter "1234" as the password (aka the Default password).
    However, if for personal reasons you decide to enter a different password, please ensure that you communicate that separately to the team doing investigation downstream. 
  5. Finally, please open the folder where all the logs collected are stored. It is typically in a folder like:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\ElevatedDiagnostics\<numbers>
    Note: Typing "%LOCALAPPDATA%" in your file explorer will take you to the correct location

If there is anyone who is still experiencing this issue and is willing to work with our engineering team during US PST hours, please reply to me and I will send a private message to get your contact details. Thanks.

Dante D
Microsoft Community Support
Support Hours – 5:30am – 5:30pm Pacific Time, Monday to Friday (Except US Public Holidays)
Estimated Response Time – within 1 Business day

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See Dante DP Microsoft post.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 3, 2023 Views 1,277 Applies to: