c:\windows\system32\LogFiles\srt\srttrail.txt missing

Upon recent Windows update, laptop no longer boots into Windows.

Instead, automatic repair runs but is unsuccessful. Diagnosing PC occurs, then says is unable to repair startup, check log file:

c:\windows\system32\LogFiles\srt\srttrail.txt

When I attempt to access the log from C:, the file cannot be found- there is no LOGFILES subfolder present.

When I attempt to access the log from X:, the file cannot be found- there is no SRT subfolder present.

Please help me find a usable log file or error code so I can diagnose why my PC will not start.

Other information:

Windows 10 Professional

HP Elitebook 845 G5

bitlocker encryption

Hi, xeroedouttwice

My name is Jeffrey and I am an Independent Advisor. I would be happy to help you today.

Try entering Safe Mode to repair

Press and hold the power button for 5 to 10 seconds to perform a complete shutdown

Do this three or more times.

Windows will start in the Recovery Environment and from there you can access System Repair, Safe Mode, Command Prompt

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced options - Reset this PC

Then you will have 3 options:

Keep my files and applications
Keep my files
Not save anything
Select the option that suits your needs and click Reset

If after executing these steps you still cannot log in, you can create a Windows USB to repair it.

I recommend you look for another computer to create a USB and repair Windows

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

https://www.backup-utility.com/windows-10/reins...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, xeroedouttwice

My name is Jeffrey and I am an Independent Advisor. I would be happy to help you today.

Try entering Safe Mode to repair

Press and hold the power button for 5 to 10 seconds to perform a complete shutdown

Do this three or more times.

Windows will start in the Recovery Environment and from there you can access System Repair, Safe Mode, Command Prompt

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced options - Reset this PC

Then you will have 3 options:

Keep my files and applications
Keep my files
Not save anything
Select the option that suits your needs and click Reset

If after executing these steps you still cannot log in, you can create a Windows USB to repair it.

I recommend you look for another computer to create a USB and repair Windows

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

https://www.backup-utility.com/windows-10/reins...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Jeffery,

While I am confident your suggestion would resolve the startup problem, it does not give us information as to WHY the startup problem is occurring; we need the information from the log file so we understand WHY this problem is happening and take appropriate preventative measures going forward. Otherwise we face re-imaging hundreds of computers with uncertainty that it won't happen again!!! Once more, can you or an associate explain how to configure Startup repair to generate a valid log file in c:\windows\system32\LogFiles\srt\srttrail.txt or similar, so that we can troubleshoot the error? Thank you.

73 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 19,887 Applies to: