Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 KB4517211 (Causing HP Printer Spooler to Stop)

The Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 KB4517211 is causing the printer spooler service to stop and the installed printer is no longer recognized.  It is an HP Officejet Pro 8210 printer.  When I go into services.msc I can start the spooler and my printer then reappears but as soon as I try to print the spooler service stops.  If I uninstall update KB4517211, my printer again works. 

Secondary Concern: I have temporarily halted windows updates to avoid KB4517211 from again downloading.  How to I stop this update from installing permanently since I will have to resume updates at some juncture.  

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Quick question, will i need to install KB4517211 prior to installing the new fix?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

hello everyone.

It appears Microsoft has just released a brand new set of updates like KB4524147 for v1903, KB4524148 for v1809 and so on to resolve the printing problems some people may encounter on many different versions of Windows.  Ditto for the recent KB4524135 update for Internet Explorer.

Try these new updates for appropriate Windows versions to see if they fix the print problems.  Either search for & download them from the MS Update Catalog site or wait until Windows Update offers these new updates.

Microsoft update KB4524147 for v1903 was available in Windows Update. It purports to fix the printer issue that arose when installing update KB4517211 (which I later uninstalled).  I installed latest update but it did not solve the printer spooler issue.  I can manually start printer spooling service but as soon as I try to print an error message indicates printer spooler service is off.  Also, message that no printer is installed.  Uninstalling KB4524147 remedies the situation and the printer again works fine.  Printer: HP Officejet Pro 8210

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Quick question, will i need to install KB4517211 prior to installing the new fix?

I don't know the answer but I wonder if it does need to be re-installed since the fix doesn't work.  I just posted the following above:

Microsoft update KB4524147 for v1903 was available in Windows Update. It purports to fix the printer issue that arose when installing update KB4517211 (which I later uninstalled).  I installed latest update but it did not solve the printer spooler issue.  I can manually start printer spooling service but as soon as I try to print an error message indicates printer spooler service is off.  Also, message that no printer is installed.  Uninstalling KB4524147 remedies the situation and the printer again works fine.  Printer: HP Officejet Pro 8210

Sorry this didn't help.

In reply to Jeremy632's post:

Like all cumulative updates, this update supersedes any preceding update.

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4524147/windows-10-update-kb4524147

Sorry this didn't help.

KB4524147 fixes the print spooler issue but may break the start menu, when you try to shut down the pc a critical error  - sign out now window may appear, also you don't get any right click options from the taskbar. I've had to uninstall Kb4524147 and Kb4517211 and reject both updates from wsus

https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-fix-the-start-menu-broken-down-by-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb4524147-527697.shtml

Sorry this didn't help.

Jay119, when you uninstall KB4517211, you pause updates in windows update? you tried to "show or hide update" with the trouble shooter the Microsoft?  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026726/windows-10-hide-updates-or-driver-updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

I did not have Spooler problems with the KB4517211 update. But with the KB4524147 update the Spooler problems began. The Spooler Service stops automatically. After restarting the service, within 20-30 seconds it stops again. I had to roll back this update on 5 workstations with the same problem already. What was meant to be a fix, broke my workstations. I am now delaying all updates on the rest of my workstations.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

KB4524147 fixes the print spooler issue but may break the start menu, when you try to shut down the pc a critical error  - sign out now window may appear, also you don't get any right click options from the taskbar. I've had to uninstall Kb4524147 and Kb4517211 and reject both updates from wsus

https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-fix-the-start-menu-broken-down-by-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb4524147-527697.shtml

As I previously posted, for me KB4524147 did not fix the printer spooler issue so I had to uninstall the update and the printer is again working.   My Start menu was not broken after installing the update.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Jay119, when you uninstall KB4517211, you pause updates in windows update? you tried to "show or hide update" with the trouble shooter the Microsoft?  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026726/windows-10-hide-updates-or-driver-updates.

Yes, when I installed KB4517211 I paused updates.  The troubleshooter will then not show any updates available so there is nothing to hide.  If I un-pause updates, Windows Update immediately checks for updates and begins automatically downloading any updates available.  If you try at that moment to use the troubleshooter, it will show you updates you can hide but even if you check the one in question, it will still install since the process already began.

Note: KB4517211 is not longer being offered through Windows Update.  It was replaced on October 03, 2019 by KBKB4524147. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Article posted at Computerworld.com on October 04, 2019 (Yesterday, Microsoft finally released a true “out-of-band” fix. It, too, has lots of bugs — but this time it’s serious):

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3444177/microsoft-releases-even-more-patches-for-the-cve-2019-1367-ie-zero-day-and-the-bugs-are-having-a-fi.html

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 27, 2020 Views 3,845 Applies to: