Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 KB4517211 (Causing HP Printer Spooler to Stop)

The Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 KB4517211 is causing the printer spooler service to stop and the installed printer is no longer recognized.  It is an HP Officejet Pro 8210 printer.  When I go into services.msc I can start the spooler and my printer then reappears but as soon as I try to print the spooler service stops.  If I uninstall update KB4517211, my printer again works. 

Secondary Concern: I have temporarily halted windows updates to avoid KB4517211 from again downloading.  How to I stop this update from installing permanently since I will have to resume updates at some juncture.  

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2019 Views 3,260 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thank you GBorn.  I am the one who started the post on this subject on the AskWoody website.  I'm glad it is getting attention.

Hi Jay119.

Perhaps you should also report this problem in the HP support community forums and get HP's attention since the problem does not seem to be reported there yet.

I don't know if the printing problem with the KB4517211 update is limited to just certain HP brand printers or if it occurs on other name brand printers.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Same problem here. Installing kb4517211 and HP Officejet pro 8740 doesn't print anymore. Nor does Acrobat Reader, newest German version, print PDF files anymore. jpg printing works. Printing a testpage also works without any issues.

Uninstalling kb4517211, and everything is ok again. Installing again, and no printing.

Problem is independent from Office 365 32 bit vor 64 bit. Problem even exists while only Windows 10, Office 365 and Acrobat Reader are running on my Surface Pro 6.

Just to inform: Have all the newest updates and newest drivers running on Windows, Office and printers.

There are so many other problems solved by kb4517211, so I would really like to install it.

So I would be thankful for any good idea.

Kind regards from

wtGerdts

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you GBorn.  I am the one who started the post on this subject on the AskWoody website.  I'm glad it is getting attention.

Hi Jay119.

Perhaps you should also report this problem in the HP support community forums and get HP's attention since the problem does not seem to be reported there yet.

I don't know if the printing problem with the KB4517211 update is limited to just certain HP brand printers or if it occurs on other name brand printers.

I posted the following in HP Support Community Forums (under InkJet Printers)

Microsoft Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 KB4517211 and Printer Spooler Service

‎09-30-2019 10:42 AM

Product: HP Officejet Pro 8210

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Microsoft Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 KB4517211 is causing the printer spooler service to stop and the installed printer is no longer recognized.  It is an HP Officejet Pro 8210 printer though there are reports  that it is affecting other HP printers too.  It was suggested in the Microsoft Community forum that I post the issue here to gain the attention of HP personnel so they are aware of the matter.  

When I go into services.msc I can start the spooler and my printer then reappears but as soon as I try to print the spooler service stops.  If I uninstall update KB4517211, my printer again works.   

Considerations:

• Ran troubleshooter (printerdiagostic10) while update was installed and no issues were found. 
  • Tried to stop the update from downloading using Microsoft utility (wushowhide).  It said the update was being hidden yet it still installed.
  • Posted issue in Microsoft COMMUNITY. 
  • Chatted with a representative at Microsoft ADVISORS who referred to me Microsoft ADVOCATE.
  • ADVOCATE performed an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10.  This did not solve the printer spooler issue so I first did a system restore (successful) and then uninstalled KB4517211 (successful).  Printer again is working. 

Obviously, this is an issue with update KB4517211 but, as mentioned above, HP personnel should be made aware of the problem and hopefully, in conjunction with Microsoft, a fix can be developed and made available.      

Sorry this didn't help.

I just ran into this issue, but the PC no longer has an HP OfficeJet connected.  I uninstalled KB4517211 and the print spooler quit crashing.  I also removed all traces of the OfficeJet driver.  Once KB4517211 reinstalls tonight, I'll report back if printing works or not.  I'm looking to see if it possibly specific OfficeJet drivers or software is causing the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

My printer works, but The Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 KB4517211 stopped Malwarebytes from loading or running nothing I did could get it to load.

So I uninstalled the update and bingo it now works fine.

So what's  going to happen when Microsoft try to download the update  in the future at the moment I have a stop all updates. 

Any one have any idea's about this?. 

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem is with Windows- our printers returned the same result, despite brand. Both USB-connected printers disappear, the remaining network printers give either  "Unable to create print job" or "Driver is Invalid". Uninstalling it didn't work in this case.. Ended up having to reset two computers.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just for affected users an information. My escalation here (probably) resulted in a confirmation from Microsoft - see Windows 10 status page - the issue affects probably only a couple of users - but it's spread to users of all Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 SP1 clients and also affects Windows Servers. 

Microsoft blames the out-of-band Internet Explorer security update KB4522016 as a root cause. But I don't agree, that update KB4522016 is the root cause (have confirmation from users, who never had installed update KB4522016 - see also my blog post Windows: Printer issues after Sept. 2019 Update confirmed .

Blogs: http://www.borncity.com/blog /(Ger) - and - http://borncity.com/win/ (EN)

Sorry this didn't help.

Just for affected users an information. My escalation here (probably) resulted in a confirmation from Microsoft - see Windows 10 status page - the issue affects probably only a couple of users - but it's spread to users of all Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 SP1 clients and also affects Windows Servers. 

Microsoft blames the out-of-band Internet Explorer security update KB4522016 as a root cause. 

Thank you GBorn for your proactive assistance and for posting latest information.  It's good to know Microsoft is working on the issue.  When a fix is available, it will be appreciated if you again post here.  Right now I have Windows Updates paused. 

Note: I saw you also posted information on the AskWoody website where I was the original poster.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you GBorn! That would make sense- The security update was the only one I couldn't remove.

Microsoft's describing it so lightly though.. our experience was not so much "trouble printing" as it was Windows forgetting how to use printers altogether. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, same. Print spooler would immediately crash each time I tried to restart the service.

Sorry this didn't help.