Creating a Windows 10 Rescue disk

I upgraded my home PC back in October from Windows 7.  It has recently crashed and I get the blue screen with a few options but none of them restores the OS, so I believe I need a rescue disk.

Before I purchase Windows 10 to get new disks with the OS, I was wondering if I can create a Windows 10 rescue USB disk from my Surface Pro 3 running 8.1 to use to rescue my desktop?

Windows crashes for specific reasons. The best and fastest way to fix a crash in Windows is to identify the reason for the crash.

To identify the reason, you need the error message, which LOOKS_LIKE_THIS, or the error code, which usually starts with 0x000 ... These are usually displayed on the blue screen.

Please reply with the error message and/or code. We can look it up on the internet and tell you what's going on.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, it's clear that the operating system is corrupted and needs to be installed again.  But if it helps, the error I get when I try to start up the system is:

bad system config info

It then tries to restart again and then I get the blue screen.

My question to the community is:

How can I create a rescue disk for my desktop which would require Windows 10?

I also have a Surface which runs 8.1.  Can I create the rescue USB disk using the surface?  Or will that only create a rescue disk for the surface running 8.1?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You don't get disks with a new copy of Windows 10.  You get a usb flash drive if you specify when you order or purchase from a retail outlet.  You can make either a dvd or a usb at

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can create either from you Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1.  The site is designed for anyone wishing to create media for installation of Windows 10.  A Windows 10 media has repair tools that can be used by booting with the media.

If you need to reinstall Windows 10 you will not need a product key since Windows 10 has already been installed once on your computer.

Colin Barnhorst

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

my new computer came with windows installed no disks.. if I  get lock up ...blue screen..no internet .. how do I recover??????  I need a rescue disk or windows 10 disk...send reply to *** Email address is removed for privacy ***,,,thanks rlp

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You make a rescue disk set with the utility provided by your computer manufacturer.  They all include a utility.  Consult the manufacturer's website for instructions.  Also, you should have a recovery partition for recovering the computer to factory condition.  Please read the instructions on the manufacturer's website.

You can make a Windows installation disk as I linked in my last reply.

Colin Barnhorst

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I realize this is an old thread, but someone else may find this info useful, borrowed from another website:

48 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And therein lies the problem.  I have Windows 10 on my computer.  If you go to the control panel to create a system repair disc, it gives you the option to Backup and Restore Windows 7.  The reason for that would be?  I bought a computer with Windows 7 on it.  Why would I make a Restore disc for Windows 7.  Windows 10 is a mess.  What a disaster.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No problem.  You are misunderstanding.  It is backup and restore for Windows 10 with the ability to restore Windows 7 file and folder backup files made before you upgraded to Windows 7. 

The title is written poorly.  Only if you choose to do a restore and browse to a Windows 7 backup file does it have anything to do with Windows 7.  It is something Microsoft could have written better but that's all.  Everything relates to Window 10. 

Colin Barnhorst

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 10, 2023 Views 26,877 Applies to: