Creating a manual restore point in Windows 10

I cannot understand how to create a manual system restore point to take me back to a date of my choosing.

I upgraded(!!!!!!!!)to Windows 10 at the end of November 2016 and all seemed well.

However since then things have gone downhill and all browsers are slow( My broadband speed is ok)

I removed all the browsers(IE 11 , Chrome) leaving just Edge to see if it would resolve the issue but sadly not.

Because Windows 10 automatically (within 1 month )erases Windows 7(my last system) I wish go back to a restore point  either at the start of upgrade (November 2015) or I month after (say December 2015).

My attempts to create either of these points have been unsuccessful.

There are no restore points on these dates showing in System Restore and trying to create one manually appears to load the current date.

Help please

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You cannot create a retroactive restore point. You can only create restore points today for use in the future. There is no way that anybody could know the status of your PC yesterday, let alone a month ago, to create a earlier-dated restore point.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You cannot create a retroactive restore point. You can only create restore points today for use in the future. There is no way that anybody could know the status of your PC yesterday, let alone a month ago, to create a earlier-dated restore point.

Well you can if one is listed in the system restore registry so why not a backdated manual one

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A restore point is a copy of the status of the system at the time the restore point is taken. Yes, a restore point that was created earlier can be used to step the system back to that date and time. But how do you know the status of the system last week to be able to create such a restore point?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A restore point is a copy of the status of the system at the time the restore point is taken. Yes, a restore point that was created earlier can be used to step the system back to that date and time. But how do you know the status of the system last week to be able to create such a restore point?

Thanks Alan

So what does "type a description to make a manual restore point mean".

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does this help?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you want to go back to an earlier date, you don't want to *create* a restore point, you want to *restore* from one that has already been created. If it wasn't created on that date, you can't restore from it.

Also note that a restore point does not restore everything in the operating system, and even if you restored to a November or December date, it might or might not solve your problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you want to go back to an earlier date, you don't want to *create* a restore point, you want to *restore* from one that has already been created. If it wasn't created on that date, you can't restore from it.

Also note that a restore point does not restore everything in the operating system, and even if you restored to a November or December date, it might or might not solve your problem.

That is the problem .

System Restore does not show any restore points for the periods in question even though November was the upgrade time to W10. In fact it only goes back to the 14 January 2016.

Hence my initial question.

If you have any ideas how to re speed my W10 Edge browser which I believe uses Bing(takes 8secs to show search field)  it would be welcomed. 

My Internet is fine and the computer sleeps not shuts down.

On selecting "show more restore points"  the earliest, as indicated above, is 14 Jan 2016 but one would have thought the upgrade date and onwards of any updates would show up enabling me to select an historic date not one 2 days ago.

In W7 I remember there were quite a few dates to select for System  Restore

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How much space do you have allocated for system restore.? If you type system restore in search and select the desktop app then select the c:\ drive and configure what does it show as max and in use amount.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How much space do you have allocated for system restore.? If you type system restore in search and select the desktop app then select the c:\ drive and configure what does it show as max and in use amount.

Current 219MB

Max      567MB

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You probably want the max to be 4 or5 gig. I don't think there is enough space allocated for Windows to make multiple restore points.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 3, 2022 Views 4,708 Applies to: