Create DVD of photos -- update

Update, 6/16/2016.  I am so mad I could spit tacks!  I tried to create a DVD of a file of photos last night that would play on my DVD player, but failed to do so, as it plays only on my computer.  I now have Windows 10.  I followed the instructions on http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-copy-files-to-a-cd-or-dvd-in-windows-10.html, by Andy Rathbone, but I didn't see one of the prompts, and File Explorer wouldn't load the files so that they would burn, even though I clicked on Burn Disc.  (Today when I logged in, I received the message that I still had files waiting to be burned.)

Finally, I went to File Explorer and right-clicked on Drive E:, where my blank DVD disc was located, and clicked on Burn Disc--which it began to do.  But when I finished, the disc ejected (I had wanted to burn another file of pictures).  Then I put the DVD in my DVD player, but it wouldn't play.  When I put it in my computer, it did play--but the pictures were in random order.

I have wasted half of a supply of discs trying one way and another to get my pictures to play on my DVD player; only one time has it worked, and I don't know what I did to get that right.

My original posting is below, if that helps.

I have tried to create a DVD of my photos, but with one exception, every time I get a disc that plays only on my computer.  The only exception was when I used a CD-R disc by mistake, but it played fine in the DVD player and my computer.  (I don't know what I did that time that was different from the other times.)

I have an HP ENVY computer with Windows 8.1.  I use Windows Media Player, click on Burn, choose the option for Data CD or DVD, and Name Disc before choosing the photos.  

I am new to this process, and don't know why I can't get a DVD every time.  I posted a similar question last year as "Finalize DVD," but the replies did not work.

Thanks for your help. 

Hi,

Please write to us with the following details.

1. Are you able to play/open DVD which you burn on other computer?

2. Do you get any error when the DVD fails to play on a different computer?

Ideally if you create a Data DVD using the steps given in the link below you can play it on all the devices. Follow the steps given under the section Burn a data CD or data DVD of the link given below.

Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Media Player

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/burn-cd-or-dvd-media-player

Write to us with the asked details so that we can assist you further.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have been able to play/open DVDs from other people on CD-RW, HP Lightscribe (whatever that is), DVD-RW, and CD-R discs.  As I said in my question, I was able to play a CD-R disc that I created in my DVD player, but I don't know how I created it differently from the ones I cannot play.

I do not have access to another computer.

I have read the instructions "Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Media Player," and I am sure I followed them.

One more tip for Windows Media Player users:

In the instructions, "2. In the Player Library, tap or click the Burn tab, tap or click the Burn options button , and then tap or click Data CD or DVD" I suggest that the instructions include the option to Name Disc, as well as choose Data CD or DVD.

Thanks for your reply.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Please write to us with the following detail.

Are you able to play on your computer? If not then what is the error message you get?

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can read the disc on my computer with no problem.  It's my DVD player that won't play them.  The message on the DVD screen is "Check disc." 

I am going to try another possibility and will let you know if it works.

Thanks.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have an older DVD player, it's possible that it (a) won't read recordable DVDs at all or (2) will only read either DVD-R or DVD+R.   I used to have a Toshiba player that wouldn't read DVD+R discs but would read DVD-R.  

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do have an older DVD (Toshiba), but it played a CD-R disc of photos that I created last week, but won't play the DVD I created a few minutes before.  I don't know what I did that was different.

Yesterday I tried using my neighbor's DVD player to open the DVD-R's that I couldn't open on my DVD player, but that didn't work,either.

In my post of Sept. 17, I wrote, "I have been able to play/open DVDs from other people on CD-RW, HP Lightscribe (whatever that is), DVD-RW, and CD-R discs. "

They have said I should Finalize the discs, but I do not see how to do this with the famous Windows Media Player.

Thanks for your idea, anyway.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I suggest you to check with the manufacturer of the DVD player once and see what all formats does the DVD player supports.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The DVD player, a Toshiba, will play DVD-R and CD-R formats, including one I created using a CD-R disc that I picked up by mistake, but it played fine in the DVD player and my computer.  (I don't know what I did that time that was different from the other times.)  This was only a few minutes after I had created a DVD-R disc that won't play on the DVD player.  The other DVD-R and CD-R discs I mentioned in the first sentence were made by other people.

So the mystery remains.

Thanks for your suggestion, though.

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2023 Views 1,156 Applies to: