Create a back up disc for windows 10

Hi

I updated my windows 7 to windows 10 64 last year. I want to make a copy of the windows 10 system files, in case I have to wipe my hard drive and do  a clean install.

Advice to make a dvd of my current windows program. (In activation it tells me I have a digital entitlement?)

Many thanks

Kris

Answer
Answer

HI Kris,

Since you already upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last year, you will no longer need a product key for activation should you decide to perform a complete wipe and clean install. For more information about digital entitlement and how activation works in Windows 10, you may refer to this support article.

If you're trying to create a complete backup of the latest Windows 10 operating system, you'll need to create an installation media using the Media Creation tool. You may check this link for a thorough explanation of how it works.

On the flip side, you can also create either a recovery drive or a system repair to back up system files.  To create a system repair disc for CD/DVD, type recdisc in Cortana/search bar and click the first result:

Make sure to insert the CD/DVD in your computer's CD reader (or a portable CD reader if it's not available) and select the correct drive. Since this will back up a lot of files, it will take some time to finish:

If you prefer using a USB or thumb drive, you may refer to this support article for the steps in creating a recovery drive.

Feel free to post back if you have any other questions or concerns. We'll be here to assist if ever you need us.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2018 Views 134 Applies to: