CPU usage dropped to 5% during Gaming after installing Win 11 22H2 update causing huge lag

Got the 22H2 update for win 11 this morning and my games immediately started to lag.. Using MSI afterburner I found that in games (BFV and NFS Heat) my cpu usage had dropped from around 50-60% to only 5 % it was the same in all of my games. They all ran perfectly yesterday. Rolled back the update and the games are running perfectly again using 50-60% cpu.

Why would this Windows 11 update do this to my new 6 week old gaming PC?

Im using i7 10700cpu and a 3070 video card along with 32g of ram

Answer
Answer
Solved with the new version of MSI After.

https://download.msi.com/uti_exe/vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup.zip?__token__=exp=1666245102~acl=/*~hmac=7813b98eed1bdb190862d55fd4c98c7e919b78181b8856f6975dd8005de6c45f

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I reckon FearOuttsider had it right in his earlier posts. MS must have changed how Win11 calculates the cpu use with this update.

I haven't had any issues with frame rates since doing the 22H2 update (third time lucky. First two caused other issues with games),
and was not aware of this low cpu thing until reading this thread, so I did a brief test with three games

(Cyberpunk 2077, BFV & Shadow of the Tomb Raider).

I normally use a cpu use monitor on my Logitech G13's LCD panel, which now shows 1-3 % cpu use (Shadow of the Tomb Raider w\ RTX3080
using Ray Tracing @ 4K (DSR) averaging mid 70's fps ).
I had always thought the data for the LCD panel was taken from the Windows Task Manager cpu monitor.
Apparently not. The cpu use monitor in Task Manager shows SoTR pushing my Intel 12600K into the upper 50's and

Cyberpunk 2077 is pushing 60+ cpu use.
Pretty much the same fps I recall from tests done after building this system and first installing Win11 a few months ago.

This seems to indicate MS changed the method Win11 uses to measure cpu usage and that reflects in Task Manager, but not the Logitech

LCD panel, possibly due to it using old drivers (or other code) that are getting no updates ?

Similar third party tools produced by MSI and others may not have caught up with this change yet either.

- On the subject of games being affected by Win11...

I have 26 games that do not, or no longer, launch on Win11 since before the 22H2 update. This is across all platforms; disc, Steam, EPIC, etc.

The 22H2 update may have increased that by one (NFS-Underground), but I may not have tested it prior to 22H2.
A few of the more prominent fails currently are... Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas (FO3 is fine though), Batman Arkham Origins,

Dishonored (Dis 2 is fine), MOH Warfighter, and LA Noir.

The games listed above are all linked to Steam, EA, and Rockstar, but are the disc based versions. However, reinstalling from Steam\EA didn't help.

Interestingly, Batman Arkham City failed to launch on Steam, but I installed it via EPIC (part of a Bats giveaway) and it launched with no issues,

so it looks like Win11's hyper sensitive security may have an issue with disc based games that are linked to the various on line retailers.

btw - I only 'lost' five games due to the OS moving from Win7>10, and because Win11 is really only Win10 with more extreme security.

Particularly with the new cpu\motherboards. I've tried the many tricks and tweaks, such as using core parking with my i5 12600K, but

nothing has worked, so at the moment all that is left to point the finger at is this new Win11 security regime.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2024 Views 18,944 Applies to: