Could I trainsfer the windows pro upgrade licenses to a new compurter?

I have a Windows 10 Home OEM licenses PC, and I need Windows 10 Pro version. And I know I can buy an upgrade license (not a full windows 10 pro retail license, only function to upgrade Home version to pro version). The question is can I transfer this license?

For example:

1. Now old PC Window 10 home OEM+upgrade license=Windows 10 Pro; new PC Windows 10 Home OEM

2. Transfer upgrade license; now Old PC back to Windows 10 Home OEM, new PC Windows 10 Home OEM + old PC's upgrade license = Windows 10 Pro

Is it practicable?

Also, Could I move back to Windows 10 Home OEM licenses if I covered it with the Windows 10 Pro retail license?

For example:

1. Old PC Windows 10 Home OEM covered with Windows 10 Pro retail license = Windows 10 Pro.

2. Transfer Windows 10 Pro retail license to a new PC.

3. Would the old PC be able to downgrade to Windows 10 Home OEM license or do I need to buy a new retail license?

Answer
Answer
Hi Minh. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

If you bought a PC with WIndows preinstalled at factory it has the Home license embedded in the UEFI chip on the motherboard and will reactivate any time you want to reinstall Home version on that motherboard, whether you upgrade to Pro using a digital License or not. Both licenses will stay linked with that motherboard as long as it survives.

If you upgrade to Pro with a Pro Upgrade pack from Store then it inherits the restrictions of the underlying license it Upgrades, which in this case is OEM that cannot move from the same motherboard.

However that doesn't mean that exceptions aren't made. There are reports that some who run the Activation Troubleshooter on the new PC while signed into the same account used to buy the Upgrade, are allowed to move the Pro license to the new hardware, since it technically is retail and therefore would normally be able to move if it weren't for the OEM license it upgraded, so it is worth a try. The procedure to move retail Digital Licenses is outlined here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/...

If that doesn't work then you can also try also to contact Microsoft Support at https://support.microsoft.com/contactus. Explain the problem and keep asking for an agent to get a call back or chat on week days. There are also reports they will make an exception. These rules are tightened and relaxed at different times during the Windows edition life.

I hope it helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2022 Views 42 Applies to: