Confused about Windows user account "Name" (Logon name) vs "Full Name" (First name + Last name)??

I've had this concern/confusion for a while and I am surprised to not find much information online... hope you can help!

I am settings up two servers (Synology NAS and Windows Home Sever 1.1) on my local home network and instructions emphasize that, to prevent access issues, it is best to set up the user accounts on the server to have the exact same username and password as on the client machines. But I am unclear on the exact syntax for my username on my PC...

Looking at my Win 8.1 Pro PC I see in Computer Management --> Local Users and Groups --> Users: I have a "Name" and a longer "Full Name". To protect the innocent, let's say the values for each are as follows:

• Name = shortname
  • Full Name = Full Name

Note also that if I go to Run --> cmd --> type %username%: it gets translated to shortname... But my user files are at C:\Users\Full Name\

When I got my (first) Mac, a few months ago and created my main user account, I used Full Name to create it and I think the Mac only knows of that syntax (so no record of shortname). I used the same password as on the PC.

On my Windows Home Server, when I create a user account I a have to fill out following fields:

• First Name = ... + Last Name = ... (two fields, second one shown as optional!)
  • Logon name = ... (one field) 
  • Password = ...

So I initially created my server user account using:

• First Name = Full + Last Name = Name
  • Logon name = shortname

But the Mac had issues getting access to the server by default (was expecting username to Full Name, so each time I wanted to access the server I had to delete that username and put shortname instead.)

So I deleted that user account from the server and created a new one like this:

• First Name = Full + Last Name = Name
  • Logon name = Full Name

Now my Mac has access to server files right away (no longer prompts for username and password).

But not clear on the status of my main Win PC. Should I change (if possible at all) my main account to have the Name variable have the same value as the Full Name variable, so have the value of Full Name instead of shortname???

PS - I should also mention, if it makes any difference, that I am using the (new for Win 8?) sync'ed Microsoft Live.com account; maybe that means Win account is working differently... maybe only cares/uses the longer version??

Thanks!!

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2019 Views 2,249 Applies to:

The name that matters is that which is shown under the column "Name" in Computer Management/ Local Users Groups/ Users.  The "Full Name" entry appears to be entered via right-clicking on the "Name" and selecting "Properties" and then typing any name you care to like in the box labelled "Full name", you can also put anything you like in the box below called "Description".

<User> Properties Sheet - General
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd145459.aspx

User Interface: Local Users and Groups
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742413.aspx

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.