Computer won't restart after updates in Windows 10, stalls at rotating circle of dots

I have a 5 year old Dell desktop PC.  All the drivers are up to date.  It was originally running Windows 8.1 and updated to Windows 10 over a year ago.  All updates have been installed since then.  This restart problem started after I installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. 

Since Windows 10 only does automatic updates it also TRIES to restart after the updates are complete.  It shows the Dell logo and will stall at the Windows rotating circle of dots screen, with the circle of dots running in the center bottom of the black screen, there is no disk drive activity except an occasional brief flash of the drive light. It will stay there for hours.  

In frustration I pushed and held the physical power button, in violation of all warnings, since I couldn't access the Windows/Start virtual power button, wait about 30 seconds and power up again. Sometimes I have to repeat the sequence (off-wait-on) three or four times in a row but eventually it boots normally and presents the Windows log-on screen.  I get sweaty palms every time I see an update thinking that one of these times it is going to die.

No error codes. High speed wired versus wireless Internet connection, running Norton Antivirus, plenty of physical memory.

The PC has a 300 GB disk that is less than half full, all packaged or downloaded standard software, nothing out of the ordinary, no modifications, no viruses, no warnings. In between updates the computer runs normally, boots and shutdowns OK.  I have tried to manually restart and the same thing happens – stalls at the dreaded rotating circle of dots. 

Version 1607 build 14393.1198

How can I get it to restart after an update?

Any help appreciated....

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Mike,

After an update it usually takes 20 minutes, depending on the size of the update for it to be applied to your computer. When you see the rotating dots on the screen, it means that it's backing up all your files so it's best for us not to interrupt it. We really need to wait for it to finish, once it's done backing up your files it will restart automatically.

Let us know if you need further help with any windows issue.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mike,

After an update it usually takes 20 minutes, depending on the size of the update for it to be applied to your computer. When you see the rotating dots on the screen, it means that it's backing up all your files so it's best for us not to interrupt it. We really need to wait for it to finish, once it's done backing up your files it will restart automatically.

Has not solved the issue. Even waiting an hour, nothing changed. Restore points dont work, maybe only windows reset will, but don't want to do that unless an absolute last resort

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mike,

I have let the computer sit overnight - 8+ hours - after the update has tried to restart and stalled and the rotating circle of dots is still there unchanged the next morning.  I don't think it is a matter of waiting - I watch/listen to the hard drive and initially it churns and seems to be busy.  When it stops I do the off-wait-on cycle (sometimes 3 or 4 times) which has worked every time so far.  When Windows is running normally I manually select Restart from the Start menu, even though there is no update in progress or pending, it also stalls in the same manner.  

The computer will Shutdown with no fault and power up using the manual power button every day.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mike,

I have let the computer sit overnight - 8+ hours - after the update has tried to restart and stalled and the rotating circle of dots is still there unchanged the next morning.  I don't think it is a matter of waiting - I watch/listen to the hard drive and initially it churns and seems to be busy.  When it stops I do the off-wait-on cycle (sometimes 3 or 4 times) which has worked every time so far.  When Windows is running normally I manually select Restart from the Start menu, even though there is no update in progress or pending, it also stalls in the same manner.  

The computer will Shutdown with no fault and power up using the manual power button every day.

Can you tell me when you're doing the hard power off? Are you waiting on the circle black screen for a certain amount of time before powering off?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After an update has occured I wait until the disk activity stops while it is holding on the black screen with the rotating dots, usually 5 to 10 minutes, then wait again usually 5 minutes then push and hold the power button, it powers down, wait 30 seconds and push the power button to power up. Most times that doesn't work the first time so I repeat the above cycle sometimes 3 or 4 times. Eventually it reboots normally passing the rotating circle of dots rather quickly and presents the windows log on screen. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since the issue still persist, we suggest that we scan your computer for any corrupted or missing files. Kindly run these tools: SFC and DISM.

Give us an update on the result and we will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After an update has occured I wait until the disk activity stops while it is holding on the black screen with the rotating dots, usually 5 to 10 minutes, then wait again usually 5 minutes then push and hold the power button, it powers down, wait 30 seconds and push the power button to power up. Most times that doesn't work the first time so I repeat the above cycle sometimes 3 or 4 times. Eventually it reboots normally passing the rotating circle of dots rather quickly and presents the windows log on screen. 

I couldn't get passed that at all.

I ended up doing a Windows Reset, while keeping all my files and data. Yeah it reinstalls Windows and deletes third party software, but big deal. After that the update installed fine and the computer is a bit less bloated now.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since the issue still persist, we suggest that we scan your computer for any corrupted or missing files. Kindly run these tools: SFC and DISM.

Give us an update on the result and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thanks for your help and guidance on this issue.

I ran the SFC and DISM (in three different modes) and as a final step I ran SFC again.  The results are below:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time. 

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete. <<Took about 15 minutes>>

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully. <<Took about 2 minutes>>

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] 
No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully. << Took about 10 minutes>>

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] 

The restore operation completed successfully. <<Took about 25 minutes>>
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.  <<Took about 15 minutes>>

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since SFC and DISM was not able to detect any corrupted files on your computer, we suggest that you perform Windows Update Troubleshooter. Here's the article where you'll be able to download the tool. Kindly make sure that you're connected to the Internet before you run the troubleshooter.

Keep us posted and we will be glad to assist you further.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I have also got this problem, i have a video when it gets stuck, for it to work again i need to revert the update.
My computer is new and is quite good .

I have done the update with media creation tool and upgrade assistant both failed.

I have checked the integrity of my hard drive and no curruption was found.

VIDEO

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 22, 2024 Views 24,552 Applies to: