Computer suddenly keeps repeatedly disconnecting from internet/wifi

I'm running Windows 10 Home, Version 2004, 64 bit, using a network adapter to connect to WiFi/internet. I'm unable to use any other methods of connecting to the internet. All my other devices have no issue connecting to the internet and keeping the connection, it's just the Windows 10 computer. I'm not using a VPN. Windows Defender and Malwarebytes scans showed I'm clean today - I did have some miners recently that Malwarebytes killed and did have to repair the windows update service recently because the service "could not be found", in case that is important - though I updated and used the PC just fine after that for several days, so I'm unsure if it matters.

I had issues with the internet connection before that, though they were easy to fix. For the first two or three weeks of usage, the PC connected to the same router on bootup and then kept the connection at any given time without any issues. Afterward, I did get some issues; long story short, my computer would never properly connect to the internet when I booted it up/restarted - it either would outright not connect at all (even with the "automatically connect" option enabled), or it would connect briefly, but then switch to "no internet, secured" after a few minutes. Additionally, if I connected instantly after startup, the same "no internet, secured" thing would happen. However, this problem didn't bother me too much, since I could either manually reconnect to get the internet to work, or I simply let the computer "sit idle" for a minute or two before manually connecting to get a stable connection.

My current issue is that my connection now keeps cutting out every two or so minutes and then it's pretty much impossible to get it back - disconnecting and then reconnecting rarely works. Sometimes, it says "connecting" for a minute and then tells me to enter the network password due to "recent changes since last connection" or something - which also does not work, when I enter the password it just "connects" for a minute again and gives me the same info again. Sometimes, it will disconnect, then reconnect, then disconnect, then reconnect, etc. Sometimes it'll simply switch to the usual "no internet, secured" state again. Sometime, it will suddenly kick me out, go "No WiFi connection", and then find WiFi connections again, allowing me to manually reconnect to the router (or connecting automatically if the option was enabled).

I've tried the network troubleshooter, which has done nothing. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my adapter driver, which has done nothing. Power option for the adapter to be disabled to save energy is turned off. Sfc / scannow command didn't report/fix any issues. Resetting the router did not work. The issue is only with the Windows 10 computer - even when the Windows 10 computer doesn't connect, my phone/gaming consoles/Windows 7 computer (which uses the same wifi adapter model) connect just fine and stay connected.

I'm desperate at this point - I got this computer about two months ago, brand new, the internet issue I mentioned prior has persisted about one and a half months of the time I've had it, and the current issue randomly started today after I could connect to the internet just fine for about an hour or two in the morning. I didn't download and install anything new, I didn't change any settings, it simply stopped working from one moment to the next. Since I use this computer for working from home daily in addition to personal stuff like gaming, I need to fix this issue urgently because my livelihood literally depends on me having a working computer with a stable and reliable internet connection, so any and all suggestions are welcome. At this point, I'm even ready to reset the PC - preferably without removing my files, but if anyone thinks that's what it takes to fix this, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Right now, after 7 times of my internet failing, reconnecting on its own, disconnecting on its own, me manually disconnecting and reconnecting to be met with "please enter network password due to changes" and then me simply pressing "automatically connect" once more, my internet is back and running. But I know the moment I shut the PC off and turn it back on again, it'll be a struggle of 30+ minutes to get it to run again :/ I ordered a new wifi adapter in case this one is simply starting to die which should arrive Monday - although I'm going to be honest and say I doubt it's the adapter.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have the same problem. It started about two months ago and will only stay connected for a couple of minutes. I've looked through the settings and I don't know what else I can do. 

9 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem. It started about two months ago and will only stay connected for a couple of minutes. I've looked through the settings and I don't know what else I can do. 
The problem resolved for me when i updated the Win 10 OS with everything Microsoft pushed out as of a couple weeks ago. It was very frustrating, internet connection cut out intermittently whether I was on wireless or wired. Once updated, it all resolved. Good luck. 

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Sylver,

(interesting name - smile*) ... Thank you for the well written detail. Makes life easier.

I need the make/model/rating of this new computer, as well as the make/model/detail of the wifi network adapter (if external) on the system; then same again for your mail internet connection unit; as well as for the wifi/wireless router.

Detail provided will be examined, then checked for known issues.

Why? I do not think it is Windows OS - though it could be drivers that are new with any Win update/upgrade ... being older than those out in the market place (manufacturers being tardy - not MS's fault); similarly do not think it would be the adapters or boosters, however they too have "firmware" - that can be outdated or buggy.

With such an interesting set-up, you are not a novice - thus understand 'firmware' and 'driver updates' are not the same (by some measure).

Just as a matinee prelude - before the new adapter arrives - can you dig in your spare cables box (folks like you will always have a 'spare cable box'), grab a LAN cable - then try running it from the Master LAN on the incoming router or wifi router - direct to your new computer/systems 10+ GB network port ... boot-up and see if the problems continue, frequency of repetition, quasi-stability, etc.

a.) Something to do (to avoid scenarios like the wife/partner saying: "well instead of moping around ... why not climb up the roof and clean the gutters, mow the lawn, lets visit the in-laws, vacuum the house, fix the broken ???, etc. etc"., - which are pursuits computers help us escape - with good reason.)

b.) Eliminate wifi hole/weak signal/interference factors from consideration, and/or give you a working temporary solution - while we try to find/fix the problem source.

Example. Toshiba's (most/all) are notoriously weak (broadcast/receive) = 1.5~2 mtrs general maximum - even in a wifi boosted room. That is manufacturer/hardware (internal) specific ... not your existing set-up, OS or anything else.

Cheers,

Rick.

{Dean of Applied Sciences, SylvR* Inst ...}

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, and my laptop keeps disconnecting from the WiFi.

No one else has this issue.  I have tried blocking all the other WiFi signals and checking that the WiFi drivers are up-to-date.  I have run the Trouble Shooter many times and I have used the Netsh Winsock reset command.

I have had this issue with two different WiFi connections.  Resetting the router has made no difference.

Sometimes it will reconnect itself.  Otherwise I have to manually reconnect it, or turn the connection on and off again before reconnecting.

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear BJ,

Stay with us (follow this thread). You are not alone with this particular problem ("no one else ... has this issue").

I have the same in my home-office system. It (your experience) is not actually Windows, rather a combination of things/other factors.

To address Sylver's issues - I will work through a very wild range of of potential causes ("process of elimination").

There are several groups of things to eliminate, before we get to the causes and fixes - for your specific issue.

If we fix Sylver's problem first (higher-up potential problem list) - that is wonderful for him; then I will drop straight down to yours.

As with Sylver - if you have a LAN cable available, try direct connecting the computer (LAN port) to the WiFi modem or router; then (same as him) take note of the differences (any) noticed.

Thank you,

Rick.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Rick,

I plugged a router straight in to my laptop and had no connectivity issues.  Unfortunately that isn't an option now.

James

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear BJ -

Exactly ... so the problem is either an electronic/magnetic interference field - near or between the terminal/laptop and the router/wifi signal ... or some other 'black-spot' factor.

Solution is to get a wifi (relay) booster. Archer/TP-link/Broadcom ... heaps of folks selling them generally US$20>30 a shot.

Plug it in within a metre/yard or two of your laptop or office desk.

Dramas will be gone.

Option - bit less effective - but can work 75% of the time ... is to get aftermarket/custom 15/25 Db gain antennas for the wifi on the laptop/computer wifi card.

Those boost your receive/send - but are still/more susceptible to RI (radio interference = electronic and magnetic interference fields). Radio, electronics and computer shops have them. Bandwidth is 2.4 MHz.

The LAN test did something else ... Eliminated your ISP as the problem (they sometimes throttle connection throughflow - to save money/costs), which means the connection signal is weaker and you get 'drop-outs'.

Cheers,

Rick.

note. We did not have this discussion, because we have not got to this yet (keep it secret - laugh).

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

So, why is my laptop the only device in the house with this issue?

It doesn't matter if I'm sitting next to the router or not, the laptop keeps disconnecting.  Today it has been terrible, another day it may only disconnect once or twice.

4 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear BJ,

At a guess, I would say there is something wrong with the Laptop's internal WIFI aerial, or the broadcast circuitry. If new can be faulty components, but is usually what we call 'dry solder joints' (when the components/wires are soldered in place {robot} or run through a solder bath - something {usually grease or contaminant} stop a proper/correct metal to metal bond/joint). In assembly - if by hand - a slip might see the leads 'stretched', which can also damage the joints.

Reason it sounds like one of those, is the 'freaky' behavior.

'dry joints' are often just pressing together, thus are affected by humidity and ambient heat. Moisture can help or degrade the joints conductivity. Heat means the metal parts expand or contract.

If within warranty, I would get it checked by the point of sale/manufacturer.

Would help me to know the laptop manufacturer and model ... then I can get a schematic to gain a better idea of the layout and/or maybe a net-pix of the motherboard/wifi aerial. These days (patents, etc.) it is very difficult to get actual circuit diagrams, and-or intelligent/informed responses from manufacturers.

Not the fault of the customer relations staff, because they are simply IT telephonists - base pay - with (if they are lucky) a listing of standard replies to give to standard questions/issues.

Companies cannot afford to have good/top technicians or engineers ... manning the phones or customer internet help network - first instance; then there are those (most) who say you need a service contract ... which will give a 'bonus 10% reduction/discount' - on the six figure service call for sending a technician out to your place (plus meals, accommodation {resort - 5 star}, drinks tab {stress}, etc., etc.). I think "Milche cow" pretty effectively covers senior management attitudes to customer service these days.

Back in the day ("Elvis" had not left the building yet/was still eating peanut butter, jam & bacon rolls) - Friday nights I would grab a handful of service call dockets - then do the calls myself on the way home, or Saturday morning. You'd raise a few eyebrows (usually wear a three piece tailored suit, but dumped the coat - thus rocked-up in suit pants, Saville Row shirt, tie & vest); however I'd fix it straight away - very fast* - then mark the docket "Warranty" or "OE - Warranty" and initial it ... meaning the call was free.

[*: easy, if you designed the stuff/built the prototypes.]

"OE" was code for Operator Error (nothing wrong - they did not read or understand the instructions), which was maybe 60~65% of call outs. It allowed my service guys leeway and personal kudos - if the customer was hard-up (poor), bit peeved, whatever. Folks get real happy - instantly - if things are fixed for free; and we could afford to help-out people who needed it.

On one hand - my technicians and staff (keeping them, and keeping them happy), were worth very much more than a few freebies. They - like everyone - liked to be liked (for handing out the odd freebie).

On the other hand - client and customer loyalty is a real, material and very powerful sales tool. The 'freebie' customers raved to friends and neighbors ... so drove our sales. Similarly - how would you feel once you found out the 'technician' in fancy dress ... was the corporate director of service, production and marketing? Folks never forget, then stay loyal for life. {"Good Will"}

I think its King William of Holland, used to 'moonlight a bit' - guest piloting KLM flights around Europe - then freaking-out the passengers disembarking - by thanking them for being good passengers ... your captain -  "Prince William of Orange". {Royal - "Good Will"}

I think having done it (many times), you get a bigger buzz/lift, than they do ... but my point is, it is good and wise corporate/executive-management policy. No company or business - big or small - can succeed without a solid loyal customer base. By and large, executives these days do not seem to understand this.

At times regretfully, it has been some decades since I was private/commercial sector. I miss the fun.

Anyway - get me the model data of the Laptop, and we'll see what might be done to fix it**.

Cheers,

Rick.

** Every desktop or larger computer today, use hardware componentry/architecture I designed in the "OE" era. All computers running Intel or AMD processors, are serviced by at least one component I designed/coded - same era. As a rule - given time - I can usually fix things/work-out how (if it is possible).

Similarly - Folks do not realize there are a number of industry heavy-weights/legends who are active here mostly incognito (periodically). They are not the folks with 'flashy names or titles', nor those who give cut/paste URLs. They are the folks who answer directly - based on direct knowledge experience - usually (unlike me) succinctly. Decades past - I did the same. This year - the 1903 bug wiped out many of our (institute) systems, so I joined as head of my institution, to get answers. Still doing that, but I know MS are doing their best. Their best, is good enough for me.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

System Model HP Laptop 17-ak0xx
System Type x64-based PC

The laptop is just over 2 years old.  Apart from this issue, which started around 6 months ago, it has been great.

*Bruce Dickenson, the lead singer of Iron Maiden, is a fully qualified airline pilot.  I often wonder what people would think if they knew he was flying them.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2021 Views 14,518 Applies to: