Computer shuts down, restarts in safe mode, then shuts down again

what should i do

*original title - my compturns off an restarts in safe mode and then shuts down again what should i do*

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2018 Views 4,148 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

Scan the Computer for error using chkdsk command in the Command Prompt from the System Recovery Options Menu.

To open the System Recovery Options menu on your computer

Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer using the computer's power button.

Do one of the following:

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

a)      On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. (If Repair your computer isn't listed as an option, then your computer doesn't include preinstalled recovery options, or your network administrator has turned them off.)

b)      Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.

c)       On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool(Command Prompt) to open it.

At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r .

d)      Press Enter.

When you restart your system, your computer will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.

Refer the following link for more information:

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

If the issue persists boot into Advanced Boot options and choose Disable Automatic Restart on system Failure to get the error message (i.e. follow the same step as mentioned in Method 1 and choose Disable Automatic Restart on system failure).

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Prevents Windows from automatically restarting if an error causes Windows to fail. Choose this option only if Windows is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and fails again repeatedly.

Refer the following link:

Advanced startup options (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode

Hope it helps!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.