Computer keeps restarting and won't boot past Windows logo screen.

Computer keeps restarting and won't boot past Windows logo screen. My husband's Sony Vaio VGC-RB52  has been displaying a "blank page" while browsing the internet. He said he has had to shut the computer down manually a number of times because of this. Now, it continually restarts automatically and won't boot past the Windows logo page. I cannot start it in ANY mode -- it just goes to the logo page and then restarts, even in Safe Mode. I have the Recovery Disks, but don't want to lose the pictures and other data stored on his computer. It's running Windows XP Home Edition. Any ideas? Thanks.
Hi Micki,

The first thing that you may want to try is to get the Blue Screen error, I think that the computer is set to reboot automatically on system failure.

Try to tap F8 repeatedly while it boots up and select "Last Known Good Configuration". If that doesn't work, then try the "Disable Automatic System Restart on System Failure" to get the Blue Screen error with the details of the problem.

Post the details here so that the community experts can suggest their best solutions.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

The most powerful tool : Google Search

29 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I can't get it to boot in any mode, including "Last Known Good Configuration". I did as you instructed and got the Blue Screen Error information. The entire message reads:

--------------------------

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X000000ED (0X8AE1F030, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

-----------------------------

I hope this is useful in saving my husband's computer! Thanks!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Micki704,

Take a look at JoseIbarra's post at the following link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/unmountable-boot-volume-stop-0x0000000ed/570c7f90-5869-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Let us know.

Best regards,

Matthew_Ha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

start button,type repair disc,click create a system repair disc,next time it happens put in dvd drive,click system restore,pick last day everything worked! if your computer already down use friends with same system on it! this happen to me but a day before it did i had made a repair disc!praise Jesus!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

this would be a helpful comment but what happens when you can't even get to the login screen and i keep getting this message   " The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." I was in the middle of resetting my computer and install was at 10% when my power went out and my computer rebooted. Now it is stuck and i need to have this computer ready to ship tomorrow?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

turn computer on instantly open dvd drive put in repair disk turn off computer turn computer on follow instuctions!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Enter to Bios

Advance

Change to ide to achi

F10 and save

Restart Computer.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 7, 2023 Views 30,243 Applies to: