Computer Freezes and also Freezes during Windows Defender Scan and Anti Virus Scan.

Hi there,

I have had a number of problems. Youtube said I had to download an updated version of adobe to play videos. I uninstalled the version I had following the instructions, and installed the new one following the instructions, and it still didn't work. I have also had trouble with my computer freezing and not responding to different tasks and programs so I thought I'd scan my computer. My Anti-Virus software (McAfee) freezes now everytime I run a scan, and then I tried with Windows Defender and that also freezes mid-scan. I tried updating Windows Defender, which didn't work saying there was an error. I then tried to open the cmd prompt, but the computer froze when I tried to right-click on cmd to run it as an administrator. My computer now more often than not freezes when I right-click on any file. Each time the computer freezes I have to reluctantly perform a hard shut down. How can I find out what the problems are and where do I solve them?

McAfee and Windows Defender are not compatible with each other.

McAfee should have disabled Windows Defender when it was installed.  Since Windows Defender is still functioning you need to disable it and that might stop the issues you have described.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-Windows-Defender-on-or-off

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Aha, one problem down! However, the same things are still happening. The computer is still freezing on different tasks and McAfee still freezes mid-scan. I've spoken to McAfee and they've checked my anti-virus software, it is all fine. They gave me a link to the Microsoft fix it website and everything I click on states it couldn't find a problem. I also keep getting errors on Explorer when troubleshooting connection problems when a page doesn't load. Videos still aren't playing either.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The first thing I do when I set up a new computer that is equipped with McAfee is to remove McAfee.  Based on past experiences, everything you describe sounds like McAfee is causing performance problems and instability on your computer.

McAfee won't like my next suggestion but I would totally remove McAfee including using the McAfee Removal  Tool: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Be very cautious and try to access links and webpages that you know to be safe...see if you still have freezes and application hangs.  If not, then you have identified your problem and you can pick an antimalware product from here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25776413-2011-Anti-Virus-Poll

If removing McAfee does not eliminate your problems then post here providing as many details as possible (and feel free to reinstall McAfee if you so desire) and someone (other than me) will try to help you resolve your issues.

Regards...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah I've had my computer for nearly two years and only just started getting problems. Something different happened last night when I did another virus scan, instead of freezing, it said the hard disk had stopped responding or something? I've also scanned for malware using different software and there was nothing picked up. Where would I be able to find the faults?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Some fake antivirus programs will give you such messages but if malware scans are negative you must assume your problems are not malware related.  Trust you did not install any other AV programs to run with McAfee?  Scanning with Malwarebytes Free or an online scanner is not a problem...installing additional real time scanners can just further hose up your computer.

Did you uninstall McAfee and see how your computer was running?

It is certainly possible that you have a pending hard drive failure...

See if this helps: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/programs-not-responding-and-getting-errors-on/159231dd-1d49-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Good luck...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Indeed, I used Malwarebytes and it didn't pick anything up. Yeh I uninstalled it but the computer was still freezing doing certain tasks, so I re-installed McAfee again.

Cheers, I'll see if the stuff on that link works!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was it Adobe Flash Player you downloaded?  After a YouTube prompt?  Did you download from Adobe or a third party site?  Did your problems start after that download or were you already having problems?

If that's when your problem started see if you can uninstall whatever version of Flash Player you installed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 4, 2023 Views 1,907 Applies to: