Computer crashed during windows update

There was a power outage during windows update (Windows 7).  My computer will not boot now.  It has the "starting windows" screen, but then goes to the blue screen and it keeps giving me the error:

"A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated".  See attached for screenshot.

Then it asks to either "launch startup repair" or "start windows normally".  When I try the startup repair, I try all of the items, but nothing works.

I can get to setup and boot menu. 

Please help!

Hi,

I have understood that computer has crashed after installing windows update.

We can try to follow the steps mentioned in a link given below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

[Note]: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed. 

[Note]: If there bad sectors on the computer, you might lose some data whick is on a bad sector of your hard drive.

Revert back to us with results.

Thank you

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok.  Sorry for the late reply, but I was trying all of the steps in the link. 

Following the steps in the link:

1.  Start the computer in safe mode - It crashes to a blue screen.  I have attached that screen shot.

Later on it gives me the choice of either "Launch startup repair" or "Start Windows normally"

1a.  Launch startup repair - It runs startup repair, but it can not fix the problem.  "Startup repair can not repair this computer automatically".  I can "view advanced options for system recovery and support" (see attachment and below 2-4). 

1b.  Start Windows normally - Does not work.  It runs for a few minutes and then just takes me back to the choice of either "Launch startup repair" or "Start Windows normally".

2.  Use startup repair to fix windows startup files - Program ran, but did not fix the problem.

3.  Undo recent changes using system restore - Program ran, but did not fix the problem.

4.  Restore your computer using a system image backup - I did not have a prior system image backup.

5.  I am able to get to the command prompt.  I have backed up the data from the hard drive using MS Dos commands.

Can something else be done since I can get to the command prompt?  Or am I at the stage of reinstalling Windows 7?

Thanks!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

For fixing the issue I would recommend you to follow the steps given below:

Method 1: Perform Startup Repair

Perform Startup Repair using Windows 7 DVD from WinRE
Here is the link for performing it:
If startup repair fails, System restore from WIndows RE.

Method 2: System Restore
Here is the link for performing System Restore:
Note: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

If still the issue perisist,refer to the given link:

Method 3: In-place Upgrade
Still if it does not work, perform Inplace Upgrade.

Note:  Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer.

Note: I highly recommend backing up all of your important files and folders onto an external storage device before attempting any type of OS repair or upgrade.

Try to follow the steps and let us know if you need further assisstance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2023 Views 1,921 Applies to: