Computer can't connect to DNS server

My computer has a lot of problems, but most I had to fix by myself or just deal with. The most recent one is that my computer no longer connects to the internet. Troubleshooter says that it can't connect to the DNS server and it doesn't say how to fix it. I tried resetting my router & modem, disconnecting - reconnecting, restarting the computer, and trying to use a different DNS. One of the big differences on my computer and my other computer that still has internet is that the network has a different IPv4 (only a number change) and DNS (the DNS is vastly different and the one on the non-connection computer has 2 listed). Before, the internet was indeed dodgy, but resetting the driver seemed to fix it. Updating didn't work and the roll back button is greyed out. Is there a way to fix this and all future internet problems or should I return the computer?
Below are standard troubleshooting steps. Most of these you have already tried. Try the remaining ones.

First you should run Internet Connections / Network / Hardware & devices Troubleshooter and then execute Microsoft recommended troubleshooting steps. Update me once done.

A. Run Internet Connections / Network / Hardware & Devices Troubleshooters
Windows Key+I > Update & Security > Troubleshoot >
1. Click Internet Connections > Run the Troubleshooter
2. Click Network adapters > Run the Troubleshooter
3. Click Hardware & Devices > Run the Troubleshooter

B. IP and DNS Setting
Type ncpa.cpl in Windows start > Right click on your network > Properties > Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Hit properties > Make sure below ones are checked
Obtain an IP Address Automatically
Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically

You can also try Google DNS
Select Use the following DNS Server Addresses > Preferred DNS Server - 8.8.8.8 > ALternate DNS Server - 8.8.4.4

Try Open DNS
Select Use the following DNS Server Addresses > Preferred DNS server : 208.67.222.222 > Alternate DNS server : 208.67.220.220

C. Head to following Microsoft Help Link and execute the steps there
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/...
Sincerely yours,
Vijay A. Verma @ https://excelbianalytics.com

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I already tried most of the troubleshooters and they don't tell me what to do, they just tell me that the DNS server isn't working. I did try OpenDNS and the one my other computer was using, but they both got the same error message or changed themselves to the previous DNS. That itself also may be a problem, the IPv4 settings sometimes change themselves to other weird addresses that don't work (don't respond to ping either).

I also tried using a different WiFi and Ethernet to no avail, had the same problem.

The problems kinda started when I got driver updates for the internet adapters, but I can't roll them back. Should I try safe mode with networking to see if it's a 3rd party software glitch? Or could it be hardware?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Before I give troubleshooting steps, I would request you to provide following information -

A. What is your computer's make and model? For example Lenovo T470

B. What is the Windows version and build? To check this, type winver in Windows Start Search (Cortana) box and click winver.

C. Did this problem start after any Windows update (To check Windows updates, Windows Key+I > Update & security > View Installed update history)
Sincerely yours,
Vijay A. Verma @ https://excelbianalytics.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the slow response, but the model was an HP 15-BS020WM running Windows 10. I unfortunately already returned the PC before I read your reply, however, problems did occur after a driver update on the wireless and LAN adapters. The update was through the built in HP Support software (which may be why the Device Manager roll-back option was grayed out), I did try to fix the issues through there but most of the troubleshooting had to be done online, the offline ones said they found no issues with any of the drivers. Prior to this, the computer made a beep and the driver seemed to stop worked at some point after, which I tied to a setting "Turn off this device to save power", which was seemed to fix the problem more or less. Is it the same issue or just a isolated bad setting?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is work for me .Thanks

Try Open DNS 
Select Use the following DNS Server Addresses > Preferred DNS server : 208.67.222.222 > Alternate DNS server : 208.67.220.220 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2024 Views 8,033 Applies to: