Computer BSODs before login screen, BSODs on automatic repair, and can't access advanced startup options or BIOS

After installing the most recent windows update, I started my computer which crashed with a BSOD after a few minutes with the error KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. After troubleshooting for hours, I am unable to access BIOS or advanced startup options and any time the computer goes into automatic repair, it crashes. The startup page instructs me to press DEL for BIOS and F12 for the boot menu, but neither work and neither do other common keys. I have installation media on a USB, but I am not able to boot from the USB to repair windows as I can't access the BIOS or options to do so. I've tried restarting it countless times, unplugging it from the wall and retrying, unplugging all extraneous devices to check for a hardware issue, and even letting it sit for a few hours on the crash screen. The BSOD that I get from every crash is stuck at 100% collection complete, but will never restart automatically. All advice that I could find pointed to repairing or reinstalling windows from a USB drive as a final answer, but without the ability to boot from my drive I can't do that. I'm at a loss for what to do and really need some help.
Hi, Eliott I'm Yanecsy and I'm an independent advisor.
I'm here to help you.

Here are some possible solutions that can help you solve this problem.

Enter Safe Mode and install the missing drivers
Kmode_exception_not_handled can sometimes be caused by missing or corrupt drivers, and to fix this issue it is recommended to install the missing drivers. If you can't access Windows 10, you may need to perform this procedure from Safe Mode. To enter the Windows 10 safe, you need to do the following:

After restarting your computer several times, you should see Windows Recovery Environment.
Select Troubleshoot> Advanced Options> Startup Settings. Click the Restart button.
After the computer restarts again, you will be presented with a list. Press F5 to enter Safe Mode with Networking.
If this option doesn't work, you will have to enable Legacy Advanced Boot. To complete this process, you will need Windows 10 installation media, such as DVD or USB flash drive.

Insert the Windows 10 installation device and restart the computer.
As your computer boots, keep pressing Del or F2 to enter the BIOS. It is important to mention that your computer may use a different key to access the BIOS, so be sure to check your motherboard manual.
Once you have entered the BIOS, you need to set the Windows 10 installation device as the first boot device. If you don't know how to do it, check your motherboard manual.
After making the necessary changes, save the changes and exit the BIOS.
If you set everything correctly, you should see Press any key to boot from CD or DVD message. Press any key to start Windows 10 setup.
When the Windows Settings window appears, click Next and select the Repair your computer option.
Select Troubleshoot> Advanced Options> Command Prompt.
Type C: at Command Prompt and press Enter.
Now enter BCDEDIT / SET {DEFAULT}. BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY in Command Prompt and hit Enter to run it.
If you did everything right, you should see The operation completed successfully message in Command Prompt.
Type exit in Command Prompt and hit Enter.
Click Continue to restart your computer. Remove the Windows 10 installation device.
After making the necessary changes, your computer may start up a little more slowly, but you can enter Safe Mode using a shortcut F8 or Shift + F8. To enter Safe Mode, do the following:

While your computer boots, keep pressing F8 or Shift + F8.
If the shortcut works, you should see a list of available options.
Choose Safe Mode with Networking and wait until the computer starts Safe Mode.
As we mentioned above, it is not necessary to enter Safe Mode if you can access Windows 10, but if your computer is stuck in a reboot loop, and you cannot access Windows 10 at all, you will have to do all these solutions from Safe mode.

Once you enter Safe Mode, you will need to install the missing drivers. For this, follow these steps:

Press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager from the menu

When Device Manager opens, look for any unknown devices, right-click and choose Update Driver.

Select Search automatically for updated driver software. If this doesn't work, you may want to try Browse my computer for driver software instead.

After all the missing drivers have been installed, exit Safe Mode and check if the problem is resolved.

Solution 2

Manually set your CPU voltage
Few users reported that the kmode_exception_not_handled BSOD error can be caused by their CPU, and to fix it you will have to manually adjust the CPU voltage.

This is an advanced and potentially dangerous process, so before trying it be certain to review your motherboard manual and consult an expert.

Solution 3

Update your BIOS

In some cases the kmode_exception_not_handled error can be caused by an outdated version of the BIOS. To update your BIOS, you must visit your motherboard manufacturer's website and download the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. After you've downloaded the latest BIOS, check your motherboard's instruction manual to see how to properly update the BIOS.

Keep in mind that updating the BIOS is an advanced procedure, and if not done correctly it can cause permanent damage to your PC.

Solution 4 Replace your RAM

Few users confirmed that kmode_exception_not_handled ntfs.sys is caused by bad RAM, so to fix it, you will have to find the faulty RAM module and replace it. If your computer is under warranty, be sure to take it to a repair shop and ask them to do it for you.

I hope some of these tips can help you solve your problem

Regards.
Yanecsy

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2024 Views 2,644 Applies to: