Completely locked out - can’t even reset

I restarted my computer yesterday and when I entered my PIN it said it was incorrect. I knew it was right and entered it carefully over and over. I spoke to customer service and they helped me reset my password and told me it would likely take overnight to sync. When I tried again with the new password it did not work. I tried logging on with another account and it still said “incorrect”

I spoke to customer support and every possible solution required an administrator password that the computer would say was incorrect. Finally I was told I had no choice but to reset the computer. When I went to do that my computer once again asked for a password!

Where do I go from here? I am completely locked out of my computer. My only guess is that the password has not synced because it is not connected to WiFi? I even had it connected to an Ethernet and my computer did not find or recognize a network. I am at my absolute wits’ end so any suggestions to either force unlock my computer or get it onto WiFi again are appreciated. 

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is William, I’m an Independent Advisor. I'll be happy to help you out today.

You will nee to create a secondary local admin account to reset the pw for your primary account. To do this, you will need to create Windows 10 boot media (on another computer) and boot from it as if you were going to install Windows, but will instead use this environment to create the new admin account. To create Windows 10 installation boot media, see this Microsoft article: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Alternatively, if you have Windows 10 DVD, you can boot from that, too.

After booting from the boot media, go to the section "Create a New User to Save Account Files" in this guide: https://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-y...

Note, the above link assumes your system drive is letter D:. If the command fails, then use C: in place of D: for the copy command.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 31, 2020 Views 8 Applies to: