command prompt unresponsive with only one command

hello, been trying to force my windows 10 update for 3 consecutive days now and still get the error code sponsored in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-failed-to-install-error-code-80240020/9d69a99b-1851-4464-b10b-e69946993e78?auth=1 and the command for the command prompt seems not to work in any given carnation (even copy/paste failed) and shows i entered the command but ignores it completely and awaits another response from me

is there a way to fix this

Hello Anthony,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

With the issue description, I understand that experiencing issue with Windows Update after upgrade to Windows 10 and also not able to run any command in command prompt. I will certainly help you in getting this issue resolved.

This issue might be occurring because of any third party software conflict. To diagnose the issue, let's check running this command in safe mode.

Try to boot the computer in Safe Mode. Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some third party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using. You can follow the below Microsoft article

Note: Please refer to the section: To get to Windows Startup Settings in the Windows Recovery Environment

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

If you're able to run the above command in safe mode, restart the computer in normal mode and run SFC scan.

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards

Regards

Neha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 20, 2018 Views 397 Applies to: