Command line option syntax error. Type Command /? for Help

I'm having an unanticipated problem with a new Vista Ultimate 64-bit installation. I built a new PC using an ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo MoBo, a Q9650 CPU, 8GB DDR2 RAM & a GeForce 8600GT video card.
I installed Vista from the original DVD, I then installed the MoBo & Video drivers from a CD. Next, I installed SP1 from a flash drive. I let windows install the rest of the updates from the Windows update site.
I then instaled WinRAR from a flash drive. I started noticing that I was getting an error dialog from "jman" that says:
" Command line option syntax error. Type Command /? for Help." in multiple (3-4 each time) dialog boxes every time I right-clicked on an icon or a diretcory or a file in explorer or quick launch. I'm not saying the error message began when I installed WinRAR, I'm only saying I noticed it then.
I wanted an image, so I installed Acronis True Image and made a backup.
I googled the error message and saw references to Office 2000 & Norton 2005. Microsoft's advice is: "

To work around this problem, modify the source path so that it does not contain any spaces.". I can't modify the source path because every time I try to access properties, I get the error messages.
This doesn't make sense to me which is why I mentioned that I installed some apps from a flash drive which probably contained some spaces.

Any suggestions??

-Jaze

Answer
Answer

Hello Jaze,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.  After reading your post it makes sense that the problem most likely began with the WinRAR installation.  Since you have the media on your flash drive let’s try the most obvious solution; uninstall WinRAR.  Next, reboot the machine and see if you continue to get the error message.  If you no longer get the error message I would recommend copying the install files onto the HDD and then running the install.  If however you are still getting the error message we will need to try and find out what is causing it.  I am including a link to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article that explains how to troubleshoot Vista using a “Clean Boot”.  Here is the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Work through these steps and let us know the results.  If the problem is resolved, great!  If not, let us know any error messages you receive, what applications seem to be related to the error messages, and as much detail about the failure as you can in your reply.  I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us k

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 11, 2020 Views 9,649 Applies to: