Q: Comctl32.dll error when i try to open any program and i can only use 64-bit internet explorer This thread is locked from future replies

everytime i try to open a program i get the comctl32.dll error, and i can only use the 64 bit internet explorer. anyone else having problems like this? or have any suggestions to help me out?

Hey john,

What is the exact Comctl32.dll error message?

Comctl32.dll errors are caused by situations that lead to the removal or corruption of the comctl32 DLL file.

If the comctl32.dll DLL error occurs when you use a particular program, reinstalling the program should replace the file. In this case, since the problem occurs when trying to open any program, you may want to try these steps to determining the root cause of the issue.

Comctl32.dll error troubleshooting:

Run the sfc /scannow System File Checker command to replace a missing or corrupt copy of the comctl32.dll file.

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

Refer this for details.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

In case SFC scan doesn’t repair the files, follow the steps given in the link above on how to repair those corrupted files.

Internet Explorer issue:

¯ What happens when you run Internet Explorer (IE) 32-bit version?

¯ Do you get any error message?

Without the error details, its not easy to suggest anything in particular. If the problem is related to missing or corrupted system files, the suggestion above should fix this issue as well.

Other suggestion that has helped couple of other users facing this issue is winsock reset back to default setting or clean state.

Here's how:

a.    Go to Start and type cmd.

b.    Right-Click on cmd and select "Run as administrator".

c.    Type "netsh winsock reset" without the quotes in command prompt and hit ENTER button.

d.    Restart the computer in order to complete the reset. Test and see if IE 32 bit works.

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 18,241 Last updated: March 12, 2018 Applies to: