Code 8008005 Windows Update encountered an unknown error

Running on Windows 7 Ultimate, updates started failing a few weeks ago, then when I looked at the laptop just before Christmas I noticed ALL updates have been removed, even though it is still running SP1. If I try to check for updates I get the above error. Similarly if I try to go to IE10, that fails because of missing updates, if I try to install them manually then I am told they are not relevant for my computer.

I have run the MS Fixit utility, which identifies a problem, tells me it has fixed it, but in reality it does not make any difference

Norton 360 is the AV product, hav etried turning this off but it makes no difference

iTunes has been removed as I read this may cause issues, makes no difference

I have searched the various forums over the last few days and tried all options found, nothing works

Hardware is a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop, with 4Gb RAM

I thought I may fix it by going to Windows 8, but without the fully updated Win 7, the upgrade fails

Any helful suggestions will be much appreciated

Question Info

Last updated September 5, 2018 Views 10,273 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Valtr,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are unable to install Windows updates with error code 8008005. Correct me if I am wrong.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will try to help you in fixing the issue.

To help you suggest more steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1. Which Fix it did you try?

2. Have you made any recent hardware or software changes to your computer prior to the issue?

3. What is the Knowledge Base (KB) article number of the failed update?

4. Is the issue specific to a particular update or all the updates?

See which Windows updates are installed:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/See-which-Windows-updates-are-installed

Please follow the below methods and check the issue:

Method 1:

You need to perform a Clean Boot to prevent any conflicting third party applications from interfering with your computer and try to install the updates.

To place the computer in a Clean Boot state, you need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below and check with the issue.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: You need to follow Step 3 from the article mentioned above to get the computer back to Normal Startup after performing all the steps.

Method 2:

Follow the steps in the below link.

How do I reset Windows Update components? :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Back-up-the-registry.

Method 3:

Follow the steps in the below link.

Unable to install updates in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Back-up-the-registry.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Method 4:

If still the issue is not resolved, then I suggest you to install all the failed updates manually with the help of the KB (Knowledge Base) article number in Microsoft

Download Center.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/default.aspx

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

In future if you come across any issues regarding Windows, please feel free to post your query here on Microsoft Community, we will be more than happy to assist you.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mahesh B G

Thank you for your response. As mentioned in my original post, I have tried every solution I could find, however, let me address your questions specifically:

Method 1 - a clean boot has been tried and makes absolutely no difference, in fact it has been tried a few times in the hope that something may have changed to make it work, however it does not

Method 2 - MS Fixit is useless unfortunately. It tells me that "Windows update components must be repaired" and flags it as succeeded, however this is not the case as  the update still fails in exactly the same way as prior to running the Fixit utility

Method 3 - chkdsk has been run, it did offer up some errors which were allegedly fixed but it makes no difference to the problem. Windowsupdate.log file is zero bytes which does concern me, as does the fact that updates used to work, then failed and all updates seem to have disappeared, except for SP1

Method 4 - This would be quite an onerous task given the laptop reports no updates are installed, so I guess it would be a case of trying to do everything from SP1 onwards. However, selecting random security updates and attempting the install, I find that WUSA (Windows Update Standalone Installer) goes off "searching for updates on this computer" and gets no further

May I also add that the MS malicious software removal tool has been run, Norton 360 scans have been run (in addition to the product being disabled) but all have failed to help

I cannot reinstall Win 7 from dvd as I am told that my current installation is more recent than what is on the dvd (suggesting some type of update is actually installed), and of course I cannot upgrade to Win 8 as the installation of Win 7 is not fully updated. Also, IE10 will not install as the prerequisites are not met, but attempting to install any of them meets with a "not relevant to your computer" error

I am at the point of backing up what data and applications I can and reinstalling the whole machine, which is my absolute last resort, but it seems nothing else is going to work

Once again, my thanks for looking into this - and if I can upload any log files that will help, please let me know. I have checked the legitimacy of my Win 7 install and it passes the MS test for being a legal, so I have discounted that as a possible issue

Regards

Rob

97 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

PS - I should also add, for total clarity - there are no updates reported as installed, any more despite them being automatically installed until a short while ago (I cannot be more specific as the laptop is used by my 11 year old son) 

There have been no recent hardware changes, however I have removed some games my son installed, mainly because the disk capacity was down to 10Gb free, there is now nothing on there which is newer than my best guess of when the updates were last working

Sorry this didn't help.

Please upload and share copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log.

Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share and post a link here.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Thanks for your response. I have uploaded the files to the location below (I hope)

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=1DB6B2EB9770215B&id=1DB6B2EB9770215B%21276

Thanks in advance for any advice based on the content of these files

Regards

Rob

Sorry this didn't help.

Your computer is quite old and Dell only provide drivers for your model for Windows XP and Vista. You can update your BIOS from version A04 to A09:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-1520

Flashing the BIOS is not without risk so you should backup your data files as a precaution  Follow all instructions extremely carefully. Read the service manual:
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=how+flash+BIOS+Inspron+1520&cat=sup

This is why I think you need to update the BIOS

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-HAL
Date:          30/12/12 01:06:36
Event ID:      12
Level:         Error
Description:
The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition.  Please check for updated firmware for your system.

I have two more significant errors to research and will deal with them in a follow up post.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the information. I have carried out the BIOS flash and found that updates appeared to start working, in fact the laptop downloaded 19, shut down, then downloaded a further 1.

However, whilst viewing history showed the updates installed today, searching for installed updates reported nothing was installed, and going searching for further updates just searched and searched and searched, returning nothing and never stopping.

I ran the MS Mr Fixit utility which reported a couple of issues resolved and I was assuming all would now be well, but in fact it has cleared the database of installed updates and I am now totally back to square one, with the laptop thinking there are no updates installed and generating the same error message.

I have further uploaded the alllogs file generated by Mr Fixit, where lots of errors can be seen in the .txt files, I just do not know how to fix them

Regards

Rob

Sorry this didn't help.

My research on the other two errors indicates they are difficult issues to resolve. One error goes directly to installing Windows Updates and the other concerns Roxio updating. This is the eror that concerns me.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          02/01/13 13:13:19
Event ID:      7023
Level:         Error
Description:
The Windows Modules Installer service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

KB959077 relates either to the error or something similar. Are you able to check the Registry entry mentioned in the Article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959077

Can you please upload a further System Event Viewer log to your Sky Drive so that I can if it has had an impact on the errors being logged.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

I have followed the article, the only thing I am unsure of is whether on point 6 I entered the values as user TrustedInstaller or as myself, I did not see how to check. Other than that my error messages (at the DOS box) and entry values were exactly as per the example

I have uploaded sys and app event logs with todays date on them. Even my inexperienced eye tells me there are still events being generated, and yes, the updates no longer work, as I mentioned they did earlier when I received 20 updates

I did attempt earlier to see if there were any Roxio updates available but there was an issue with that web site, it is something I will try again

Thanks once again

Sorry this didn't help.

The degree of difficulty in implementing the resolution detailed in KB959077 gives me some cause for concern. How did you copy the folder name in step 5?

I managed to locate the folder with some dificulty. I right clicked on the Folder and selected Properties. On the general tab I  placed the cursor on the name, right clicked selecting Select All, right clicked and selected Copy. This is the result I pasted into Word:

amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17592_none_672ce6c3de2cb17f

I have Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit with SP1 as do you, which does not appear in the Applies to List! I am querying the omission with Microsoft as Feedback.

It is probably too early to determine whether Event ID: 12 has been resolved. The error has repeated many times but not on a daily basis.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.